1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin AC40/AC50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by travatron4000, Dec 29, 2001.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Anybody got one? How are they? Sound, feel, value, etc....?

thanks
    ;p

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    had an ac50 for a bit.

liked it. compares, kinda, to a rob allen...KINDA!

if you're not picky about woods and/or finishes, find one used!!

limited use, i think...i'd buy an oil finished koa, unlined fretless one in a sec.

fred

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i must be honest and say ive never even seen one in person. but, i can speak for the quality of the craftsmanship and the woods that carvin uses. excellent in my experience (i own an LB75PFW, a bandmate has a DC127, and another friend has a LB75) the playability has always been good too. the one thing that is always lacking is the pickup/preamp combination (i think this is the general concensus) and since i believe the AC series uses a standard fishman piezo, i dont think you could go wrong. they look very nice with a traditional headstock, fretless w/o lines IMO. i think what i said was accurate, if not, feel free to correct.

4. Just got an AC40F, and I love it. It feels better than any bass I've ever played, except for a tiny bit of neck dive because of the lightness of the semi-hollow body. Perfect neck, playable all the way up. The sound is real woody and growly, especially down low. It can sound very "acoustic," if you want it to, but it definitely needs an amp. It isn't completely hollow, and has virtually no unplugged volume. I love it more every time I touch it.