1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin AC40 ... add pickups ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Has anyone experimented with adding a soundhole pickup to use with an existing piezo? I'm looking for a simply non surgical solution to add some different sounds to this bass.

I once read somewhere on this forum that someone had made a soundhole pickup bu adding brackets to a magnetic pup??

I do have a weak G string and looking for some solutions. Also open to recommendations of changing my piezo pickup

2. weak G-string is strange...I don't have such an issue on my AC-40

I've been considering making a wooden case for P-pickup (not unlike the Dean Markely acoustic sound hole pickups, and plugging it into my preamp somehow...haven't done it yet, but it certainly could be done.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I need to investigate why the G string is weak on my bass. I have adjusted to the problem by plucking a little harder on that string. I also have read this from another AC40 member who also had this problem.

The P bass idea is great. I am going to see if I can get a schematic of the the preamp and see what can be done as far as attaching the Pbass pup.

4. I'm at work, and can't access my bass at the moment, but you can try looking here

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/techdocs.html

to see if any of these schematics match the preamp....I suspect that the 501-B does...albeit may be configured a little differently.

5. I had an AC50 w/the same symptom. Here's what I found and fixed on mine:

If you take the one piece saddle/bridge off, underneath you'll find a ribbon transducer pickup lead that runs the length of the bridge. Check to make sure the saddle piece is level all the way across, making a solid contact. Mine appeared to be ok, I then assumed that the groove was not. So, I installed a very small shim- a small piece of paper folded once, the width of the saddle groove and about 2mm long underneath the ribbon tape. That did the trick. IIRC, the transducer was adhered in the groove but it came right up (start at the E string side, to keep the wire from incurring damage on the G side which runs to the electronics). I simply laid the ribbon back down over the shim, replaced the saddle/bridge and restrung. Voila! - balanced string response! Hope this helps.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    thanks for the info. I will be replacing the jack next week and will check out the saddle as you mentioned.....