Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin AC40 Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spoolie, Nov 30, 2000.

1. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Can anyone contribute an opinion/review on the Carvin AC40/50 fretted version ? I have a couple of good basses so I don't need another "standard" sounding bass. Does it have a significantly different sound to merit purchase ? I would be using it (at the start of gigs) for standards, jazz, and other "wallpaper" type music. Does it have an acoustic vibe ? I live on the east coast so I'll never get a chance to try one. Thanks in advance.

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Spoolie,

I'm a big Carvin fan, and have played a couple of fretted AC40's, but they didn't float my boat. They're very well made and look great, but I'm not sure how practical they are. They're not really loud enough to play live without amplification, and they don't sound anything like an upright. They have a nice tone, but you could just as easily throw flats on a P-bass (although the Carvin is a lot easier to play). Maybe more competent hands could get a greater variey of tones out of it, but it seemed awfully limited to me. Maybe fretless is the key. I dunno. Either way, although most other Carvin's are a super value, at $700+ they seem kinda pricey for something which TO ME, had such a limited sound.

My $.02...

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    lump:

i played a few recently.

i wouldn't even consider a fretted version.

this thing screams for a smooth fretboard.

i got a wide variety of tones out of it. depends on technique.

playing up towards the neck and rolling off the highs gave a surpizingly woody sound without being too boomy.

tapewounds help.

yes, maybe it is limited...but, i'm wanna dump my flatwound strung jazz for it.

still, i'd like some feedback from owners.

they seem popular on EBay.

fred

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    why are there 4 threads on the AC40 up right now?