Carvin AC40 Slappable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christopher, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I posted this question on the Carvin BBS without any luck. Any thoughts here? I figured that the near-solid-body construction of the AC40 might be more amenable to slapping than most other ABGs on the market.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    With the tapewound strings the slap sound is surprising clicky. I don't know what rounds would sound like on it. When I slapped an AC50F unplugged with tapewounds it sounded fine, but plugged in, the piezo didn't seem to capture that sound.

So my answer is... maybe;)
  3. ahh! don't do it. if you want a bass for slapping buy one or trade this one in. damn these things don't look sturdy enough for a brutal slapping.

i bought an Epiphone Rivoli at GC because a guy was slapping the life out of it, i said take that semi-hollow out of that guys hands and i will buy it right now, they did, i don't play it a ton but i just couldn't see it being treated that way. maybe i am just to emotional.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

what do you think of the AC40?

i'm considering one since they are having a sale.

i played a couple and thought they were a good deal and had that Rob Allen vibe.

just wondering if you or anyone else had more than just showroom experience with it.

5. sorry man i know as much as you probally do, just pics.
    have you done a search on talk bass for the AC40
    you might also these links to find any info.

good luck
  6. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I've owned one in the past. It was excellent in recording situations when a warm wood tone was needed. With the flat strings on it I could get a near upright sound out of it.Sounded great with rounds on it too. Only thing that concerned me about playing with it live was that I couldn't get the neck tension adjusted firm enough. If I put pressure on the neck it sounded like it would go slightly out of tune. May have just been this paticular one I had. Other than that...excellent bass.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    thanks for the comments.

i went to Hollywood yesterday and bought one.

5 string UNlined fretless, walnut top and headstock, black hardware.

The sales guy was really great, the action was too high for my taste and he immediately took it over to the bench and adjusted the truss rod (PD HORRORS!!!!!!!!!).

He got the neck straight and the action down really low.

With that ebony fretboard, and those tapewounds it sounds GREAT!! And plays <ahem> better than my old Rob Allen (sorry rob) and for about a third of the price these days.

I love playing up by the neck...beautiful full and round sound.

I usually go to the Santa Ana store, and their gear doesn't seem to be setup as well.

PLUS, i have that Carvin 10 day trial. By then I'll have my Zon back... <wink>...

the fender goes back into its case...shhh