Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin AC50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nspbass, Jun 28, 2005.

1. nspbass

nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    Just curious as to everyone's opinions on this particular bass. A local music store has one for $550, and other than the action being considerably high (easily a truss rod fix), it sounded and felt great.

I understand that it's meant to be an "acoustic" bass, but do you all think it would also serve well enough for some heavier, more rock-oriented material?

Thanks.

nspbass

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do a search, plenty of opinions already at your fingertips!

3. I have an AC40 (4 string version)...yes they do sound great...the neck is very adjustable and I can the relief to exactly where I need it.

It has a great acoustic-like sound and I find that it fits in very well with ANY music that employs acoustic guitars.

When I moved to Australia in 2001, it was my only bass for about 2 years and did a great job.

But it's not like a P or a J or a PJ and I missed that vibe. Nevertheless, I still highly regard it and will not part with it any time soon.

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    It has a great acoustic-like sound and I find that it fits in very well with ANY music that employs acoustic guitars.

I have one with the LaBella tapewounds and it's great tone for jazz or acoustic, but have you put steel strings on it to see if it will cut through any better? I have some TIs I'm thinking about putting on mine for acoustic rock. Do you think that will help?

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have the four string AC40 and think it's fantastic for acoustic/electric purposes. I don't think I would be happy with it for the heavier rock though.

The price sounds more than fair considering what they cost new.

6. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    The fretted version will work. Turn the tone down a tad and run it through a mild amount of distortion....very acceptable rock sound. Some of the heavier effects like a phlanger or octaver can give pretty sweet tones too.. Then again, I have a nice solid body to fall back on, so I guess I don't despair over having the one ax that does it all. The Carvin's semi-solid body is less boomy than a true acoustic, but the piezo is always going to give a little more bleed of finger noise and body resonance. my $0.02