carvin acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 22, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i was reading in on carvin basses. i saw that they make acoustic basses. i think they look really good, however, im curious to how the sound and play. does anyone have any info on this? thanks
  2. My main bass is a Carvin AC40F, and I love it. It is not a true acoustic, however--without an amp, it's just barely louder than an unplugged electric.

It plays like an electric--low action, thin neck. The bridge is not adjustable, of course, but I haven't had any problems with it. Very light and comfortable. The sound is not electric. Mine is fretless, and has a distinctly woody, acoustic growl, lots of bloom and mwah.

Lots of people around here aren't crazy about Carvins, but this one had the features I wanted, and I'm very happy with it. I was shopping for a semi-hollow with piezos, I wanted to try a neck-thru, and mostly I wanted a 2-octave fingerboard.

I also tried the Godin, and didn't like it much. The Rob Allen I like a lot, but it doesn't have the full 2 octaves, and that was important to me. If it did, I would have probably gone for that, even with the bolt-on neck. If I had been aware of the Shuker semi-hollow at the time, I might have considered it. Still, I'm extremely happy with the Carvin.
  3. Well guys... Talking about carvins made me remember that ``Listen to the Lyrics`` solo, by Barry Sparks,on Roland Grapow´s solo album... It´s really a mess you hardly find one of those basses here in Brazil :p ; such an amazing hard sound!
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thansk for the help guys. yea i was jus tlooking for something i could hae a little fun on. the acoustic sound really appeals to me for some reason.
  5. I don't have any particular experience with them, other than picking up one in a music shop once, but a dude named Norm Stockton has a recording out that he uses a Carvin AC-50 on. Check out norm's website and look for his CD, there's sound clips from it. This computere doesn't have sound card, so I can't tell you which track, but hey, what I've heard from his video sounds awesome - great MMWWAAHHHH factor.

Let us know what you end up with!

6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Never owned the bass, but did own the acoustic g****r counterpart, the AC175. It sounded terrific for a thinbodied piezo-only instrument, and the build quality was excellent.