1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 22, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i was reading in on carvin basses. i saw that they make acoustic basses. i think they look really good, however, im curious to how the sound and play. does anyone have any info on this? thanks

2. My main bass is a Carvin AC40F, and I love it. It is not a true acoustic, however--without an amp, it's just barely louder than an unplugged electric.

It plays like an electric--low action, thin neck. The bridge is not adjustable, of course, but I haven't had any problems with it. Very light and comfortable. The sound is not electric. Mine is fretless, and has a distinctly woody, acoustic growl, lots of bloom and mwah.

Lots of people around here aren't crazy about Carvins, but this one had the features I wanted, and I'm very happy with it. I was shopping for a semi-hollow with piezos, I wanted to try a neck-thru, and mostly I wanted a 2-octave fingerboard.

I also tried the Godin, and didn't like it much. The Rob Allen I like a lot, but it doesn't have the full 2 octaves, and that was important to me. If it did, I would have probably gone for that, even with the bolt-on neck. If I had been aware of the Shuker semi-hollow at the time, I might have considered it. Still, I'm extremely happy with the Carvin.

3. Well guys... Talking about carvins made me remember that ``Listen to the Lyrics`` solo, by Barry Sparks,on Roland Grapow´s solo album... It´s really a mess you hardly find one of those basses here in Brazil :p ; such an amazing hard sound!

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thansk for the help guys. yea i was jus tlooking for something i could hae a little fun on. the acoustic sound really appeals to me for some reason.

5. I don't have any particular experience with them, other than picking up one in a music shop once, but a dude named Norm Stockton has a recording out that he uses a Carvin AC-50 on. Check out norm's website and look for his CD, there's sound clips from it. This computere doesn't have sound card, so I can't tell you which track, but hey, what I've heard from his video sounds awesome - great MMWWAAHHHH factor.

Let us know what you end up with!

BT

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Never owned the bass, but did own the acoustic g****r counterpart, the AC175. It sounded terrific for a thinbodied piezo-only instrument, and the build quality was excellent.