Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Amp+Avatar Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squad5o4, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Squad5o4

Squad5o4

Nov 6, 2001
    Abilene Tx
    Ive heard people raving about Avatar cabs, and i need to keep the price down on a new amp. Id like to get a Carvin r1000 head, and an Avatar 410. Id like a 15" too, but not sure about the dough. It all comes out to about $1055 with shipping, definately cheaper than if i went with the Carvin 410, but would be more expensive that the Carvin deals, if i bought an Avatar 1X15. Any thoughts? Thanx

2. I cant comment on the head, but as far as the cabs are concerned, Get the av 410, and if you cant afford it, wait on the 15. OR call dave and see if he can do anything as a "package" or something with old stock or lessen some "options" in some kind of way. Just a thought.

Carvin cabs suck, IMnot soHO

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that's my current setup(the R1000/Avatar410)...and I love it. I have built two other cabs to use with it, but most of the time I run the 410 alone.
    I like the R1000-for the $$ it's been worth it. Plenty of power...my only complaint was getting used to the "knob" fetish that Carvin has with these amps.
    You've read enough on here about Avatar to figure out most opinions of them. Some folks like Carvin, some don't (like anything else)---I think for the $$ the R1000 is a decent value and it hasn't let me down at all and I use it all the time.

good luck!

4. :confused:
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Are you saying that it is less money to buy the Carvin r1000,4x10,1x15 as a complete rig than to buy the r1000 and the Avatar 4x10,1x15??:confused:

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Your post caught my attention because I was thinking of doing the same setup:

Carvin R1000 with an Avatar 4x10 and Avatar 1x15

Carvin makes good amps but a lot of people complain about their speaker cabinets. Avatar cabinets, on the other hand, come highly recommended. Right now I use Carvin speakers and haven't had any problems, but I don't have much to compare them to since I haven't used anything else in the 10 years I've been playing.

But my point is, I think the Carvin/Avatar combination is a good bet (both ecomomically and in terms of performance).

The other option that I am strongly considering is doing the separate pre-amp/power-amp configuration as opposed to an integrated head. You may want to give that some thought as well.

I'm open to suggestions too, as I'm in search for the most "bang for my buck" on this setup. Later.

6. Squad5o4

Squad5o4

Nov 6, 2001
    Abilene Tx
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Are you saying that it is less money to buy the Carvin r1000,4x10,1x15 as a complete rig than to buy the r1000 and the Avatar 4x10,1x15??

Thats exactly what i was saying.

I think that the Carvin r1000 head, and Avatar 410 cab is what im gonna do, and evetually the 115. Thanx alot for the opinions and help.

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Why don't you go for a Sansamp RBI, and a QSC RMX850. It's right around the same price as the Carvin head, and gives you more versatility, plus I'm sure the Sansamp's tube emulation surpasses Carvin's circuit.

Just my .02

dirk

8. I've got the Carvin R600 and Avatar 410 cab, great combination! I dumped the Carvin 410 for the Avatar, BFD (Big Freakin Difference)!

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm checking out prices on both the SansAmp RBI and the QSC stuff. Let me know if you spot anything buddy.

10. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm actually sort of saving for the Sansamp RBI right now, but I have the DI pedal and love the tone it gives me. I also got my QSC from a local dealer for about 320 plus tax. But Musiciansfriend has both for about 300 a peice plus shipping. But there are some other online dealers that sell QSC stuff, like Lord Valve and others. If you do a quick search on QSC stuff you should get some threads w/ links to his site.

I've played through Carvin amps and just don't like their tone. It's not my bag, but it is a good bang for the buck.

dirk

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My current setup is a Carvin R1000 and an Avatar 4x10 (front-ported). I dig the sound quite a bit; it's very even and clean and has a nice little rumble in the low end. It doesn't go too far in either direction (as in favoring one type of sound over another). The only problem with getting a setup like this is that Avatar and Carvin are both factory-direct dealers, so if you try it and don't like it, you have to pay to ship them back. But at the price (particularly the Avatar), it's worth the effort, IMO.