Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin amp settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 10, 2001.

1. I have my complete rig now. It's an awesome sight to behold!

I'm running it in Bi-amp mode and have some setup questions.
    Could someone explain the "crossover" setting in a little more detail?

I'm thinking it determines what frequencies are sent to which cabinet. True? If so does that mean that at a certain frequency one cab just shuts off and the other takes over? I couldn't tell real well when I was playing it.

What is a common setting for this?

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Congrats on your new set-up, Count. The bi-amp crossover determines the point at which frequencies are "split" between the low and high channels. This split is not like cutting the spectrum with a knife, however. What happens is: the "low-pass" part of the output rolls off frequencies roughly above the crossover freq. and the "high-pass" part rolls off those below it. The roll-off is smooth, at 12 dB/octave, according to the Carvin literature. This means that, for example, if you choose 200 Hz. as the crossover frequency, you'll still get some 400 Hz. content (one octave higher), albeit attenuated by 12 dB, into your low channel. (Note: you can even get some 800 Hz. content - 2 octaves higher - but at 24 dB lower level.) It also means that your high channel will see some 100 Hz. content at a lower level. So, no, the respective frequencies are not really "shut off" abruptly.

I don't care much for the range of frequencies Carvin's crossover offers. I'd prefer more like 50 Hz. to 500 Hz., rather than 200 Hz. to 2 kHz. In the rare instances I bi-amp, I usually set it at 200 Hz., because I need as much lows above 100 Hz. going to my 2x10" as possible. I don't recall your speaker set-up. If you are using 10" speakers for your high channel, I'd set it at 200 Hz.; but there are many other variables, so it ultimately boils down to personal preference.

The other thing that I've read (and it corresponds to my own experience) is that the crossover sort of notches the signal near the crossover freq., so if you set it at 200 Hz., the overall output of your rig may be a bit weak in the vicinity of 200 Hz., which IMO is not a good place to lose signal.

- Mike

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Congrats on your new rig!

MikeyD pretty much said it all on the crossover. I agree that the crossover's frequency range leaves something to be desired, it's a little too far up the spectrum.

When in doubt, do what MikeyD does. I recall he runs full range almost 100% of the time. That way, your driver's output will be across their entire operable range.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I keep my crossover at around 800, but I like more of the deeper 15" sound. It is all a matter of preference. I also usually use both the Low Boost and the High Boost pre-amp buttons and usually a 12:00 setting on the "tube" blend. I use the equalizer in the typical V setting. This sound works well for my Carvin LB70, but it is all a matter of preference.

-KB