Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Amps??? should i?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hey
    anybody have any experience with the Carvin amps, i was looking at the 'Red Line Series III 600 Watt Bass Amp Head' and the 'Red Eye' 4 x 10 Bass Cabinet'. They Seem Very seasonable for the price!

thanks for any imput

*Si*

2. Carvin is competively priced, quite reliable, and does not have much low end below 60 Hz. I've played one nearly every week last summer and they do cut through. IMO, lousy for 5 string bass, due to no bottom end.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO what you say is quite true of the cabs, but *not* of the heads.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    On the other hand, if you add an 18" cab as I did, you get tons of low end too.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Love the heads, and I can deal with the cabs for the price. My Opinion Only!

-robert

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think Carvin makes pretty nice amp heads. What lacks in the amps and cab department is the speakers carvin uses in their cabs. Just my 2 cents.

7. Sorry, I should have been more specific. My only gripe with the heads is the (useless) 200 Hz bi-amping crossover.

I've played the Carvin 15" separate cab attached to an RL210 and found it wanting significantly in bottom. The numbers on the 18" driver indicate an optimum F3 of 54 Hz, so I wouldn't expect lots of lows from the 18" either. Carvins are just not designed for extended low frequency reproduction.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i play through an RC210 (600 watts, RL210 speaker cab) with an added 18. the head is great, but im looking to switch to a good 410 cab, or even a 212 of 412. either way the carvin 210s dont have nearly enough bottom end. (-3 dB @64 Hz, -10 dG @42 Hz ).... i think... either way the 18 i added sucks so much power that even though i can get a good sound, it cant get that loud. if yorue gonna buy a head.. get the R1000. as its not that much more, adn the extra wattage would help i think. i think the amp heads are a great deal, and the speakers are fine if you play a 4 string, though they arent that efficient. carvin does use cheaper eminence speakers in their cabs. (they use eminence, but designed to carvins specs) my R600 through an eden D410XLT sounded amazing! and the volume was unbelivable!