Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by psubassist, Apr 7, 2004.

1. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am currently browsing through some bass amps and the unit that has caught my attention is the Carvin R1000 Head with a RL210T Cab. Would this be a good investment or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks
    John

2. Some folks like 'em, some folks hate 'em. Do a search for Carvin in this forum and you will find a lot of info.

A couple of cons:
    I've read that the dynamics processing part of the R1000 (tube emulation, compressor) is not particularly good.
    The RL2X10 doesn't have much low bass response, it's only rated down to 64 Hz (low C on a 4 string). It's not a great choice as a stand alone cab. Anything below that is pretty muddy (I've played through one a couple of times).

The new Carvin mono block amps seem to be getting some good reviews and would be worth checking out (B1500 is only $50 more than the R1000). In the same price range of the Carvin cab are Avatar speakers. A lot of people in this forum like them, http://www.avatarspeakers.com/. Also, the highly recommended Aguilar 1X12 is often available used for around the same price as the Carvin 2x10. Check the Talk Bass classifieds, Ebay, etc.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I owned a Carvin R1000 head. The first one blew out and I sent it back, and I had the same problem with the second which I also sent back. They were very cool with the returns. As it later turned out, it was actually some faulty wiring in my Avatar 2x12. Somehow, something in the wiring got messed up and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. However, Dave was also very cool with it and sent me a new backplate, no questions asked. I don't think the quality on the Carvin head was all that magical, nor was the Avatar cab. However, both of them were backed by solid customer service. The Avatar is pretty much the best thing going in it's price range. The Carvin head was cool, but had WAY more features than I could ever use... all I did was press in the deep switches, and presto, tone. I like my RBI/QSC PLX 1202 a lot better... more power, not much more expensive, and a lot simpler... well, sort of simpler, if you like rack gear.

4. I have a R1000, a R410T, and a R118 in Pittsburgh for sale.

Excellent Condition..

I PM'd you....

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a former and current owner of various Carvin amplification, I encourage you to look at their new bass amps.

It looks like they may finally be trying to get serious about competing with some of the better names in bass amps.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I used to own a carvin R410T and a R118 witht eh R1000 head. That head was actually decent, but as Ericman197 said, way too many features for me to use, I'm a basic set the knobs flat, dial in a little extra low end and mid and I'm set. I cannot say the same thing for their cabs though, which in my opinion are sub par for their price. They just don't handle the lows, break up on the low G on the low E string and muddy even with much eq'ing, the R118 just makes the mud worse. In my opinion spend your money else where for cabs, Avatar are great for the money and are actually a little less expensive making the quality/ sound to cost ratio that much more attractive.
    Peace
    -Ben