Carvin Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 13, 2004.

1. Hey, looking/drolling into carvin catalog i got the other day and lookin at the amps i really like the looks of this

Does anyone have this setup or have any of the above and can give any advice, considering the buying without testing factor....

2. or this one, little cheaper but with an 18" sub and a 2x10 combo
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Not worth it. Carvin speakers tend to be.... well IMO crap. They don't hold the power well, and break up way before they should. They are heavy, and for how much you pay, you'd be way better off spending less and getting Avatar. The tweeters are harsh and really clank sounding. I really don't have anything good to say about their cabs. Their heads seem to be quite a bit better then their cabs, I've only had limited experience with their amps, and came off with a pretty good impressin (only using them a handfull of times). On the other hand the Cabs are not worth it.

Hope I helped
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Forget the Avatar route, I didn't see until now that you are from Australia. But my opinion on Carvin still stands.
  6. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    I play thru the 2x10 Combo all the time, and it works great! I think the 18, 15 or even 4 more 10's would do the job even better when bi-amped. Carvin Rocks!
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had the R600 head and it was woefully underpowered for the rating it was given.

Let's put it this way - the supposed 200 watt Trace head I had completely blew away the "600" watt Carvin.

I still have a Carvin 1x15 cab and it's nothing great. I've been thinking of snagging a Celestion to put in there, but I don't use it enough for gigs anyway.
  8. does stanley clarke still use carvin?, but whats really got me thinking is that vai and phillip bynoe use carvin and i did do a search in this thread an there seems to be a mixed opinion on carvin here, but i spose as always it depends on how you treat your gear and what you need it for.....but i dunno, if they have a 10 day return policy or something like that ill give it a try