Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AssMan, Feb 28, 2001.

1. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Carvin Amps
    What's your opinion on them? Quality, crappy, or whatever?
    Just wanted to know some peoples opinions on them. Here's mine:
    I just bought the RC210 600 watt combo which consits of the carvin RL 600 series 3 head and the RL 210 2x10" cab, all built into one portable box. I love it! I can over power my whole band (when hook up my 15" cab, though it could do it w/o the 15) if I want to with this baby. The sound is great, very transparent, and versitile. It's easy to use once you know how. Only took me 2 days and one jam session to dial it in.

Here's the combos sepecs:

This RC210 "Red Eye Combo" features the R600 amp head: Power: 2ohms: 300/300w, 4ohms: 250/250w, 8ohms: 175/175w Bridged: 4ohms: 600w, 8ohms: 500w • THD: less than 1% at 1k Hz, • Freq. Resp: 20Ð20k Hz • Dual speed high-duty fan • Active and passive inputs (-10db) • 3 pre EQ FILTERS; +6dB @ 100 Hz, -7 dB @ 400 Hz or -12 dB @ 125 dB and + 6dB @ 6k Hz • shelving tone controls: BASS ±12dB @ 80 Hz • MID ±12dB sweepable from 200 to 2k Hz and TREBLE ±12 dB at 8k • Bi-amp CROSSOVER sweepable from 200 to 2k Hz • COMPRESSOR with variable RATIO control sweepable from 1.3 to 1 through 5 to 1 ratio • NOISE GATE 30db quieting (including effects loop) • 9 band GRAPHIC EQ ±12 dB @ 50, 80, 125, 250, 500, 800, 1.3k, 2.6 and 5k • GROUND lift switch • 12AX7A tube • Dimensions for this RC210 cabinet (with a tilt-back design): 23.5" W x 18" D at top, 11.5" D on very bottom x 21.5" H • Total Weight: 81 lbs. (the shipping weight said 72lbs. and that feels right so I think that carvins site is wrong)

2. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Every time I read a positive review of a Carvin amp, i'm a little relieved. I'm ordering the cyclops next week when I get my tax check back. i've read dozens of posts about Carvin on this and several other Bass forums and the good is leading the bad about 20-1. However i'm a little nervous buying something with hearing it first. But i've had a lot of people say they love the sound of theirs.

Glad to hear you like yours, I hope i'm as lucky.

hoping for the best'

fisk

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Fisk:

I have the RL6815 and I like it plenty, sounds nice. Just be sure to read the manual carefully when you start out, it's not necessarily a plug and play unit. Follow the manual's suggestions for settings, and then you can dial in your sound from there. You'll have better results that way.

I myself don't even use the graphic eq on it. I use the preshape filters, and a little shelving eq. It puts out a nice sound and plenty of volume for me that way. The graphic eq would be useful I'm sure, I just haven't spent the time trying to tweak it. I'm just glad there's a switch to make it inline or out.

Oh and don't forget. If you don't like the Cyclops when you get it, you have 10 days from the delivery date to return it. That's pretty much the only consolation they offer for buyers who purchase their stuff sight unseen. I have one of their basses too, they seem to do nice work.

Good luck! :)

4. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Seamus, I would agree with you. Almost everything i've read about Carvin has been positive, basses and amps. I've been drooling over the mo' bass and huge cabinet from swr at local music stores, but its not in the budget. Carvins prices are tremendous, and that in itself makes me a little nervous. But you and MANY other Carvin owners have given positive reviews, so i'm going to take my chances.

thanks for the info

fisk

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have the cyclops. It's great!! You might want to consider the 210 model though. :) Better portability. If I knew then what I knew now... I would have bought the RC210 instead with a 18" ext cab.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    That's true...

For only $210 more, you could have the 2x10 combo + 18" cab delivered. Something to consider...

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

SWR has the "WorkingMan's" amps, but Carvins are the true working man's amps. Extremely good performance, versatility, construction, and value for the buck.

Would I rather have a "designer label" amp for playing alone? Yes. They generally sound better and perform better at higher volumes. The Carvins don't have a signature tone like, say, Ampeg.

Do the party animals in clubs notice a difference in tonal quality if I'm plugged into an Eden or a Carvin? No.

Some of the people who have e-mailed me about if they should consider a Carvin live in S. California and have had the opportunity to try out the famous names and the Carvins. Almost all are now Carvin owners.

8. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You guys are talking me into something that will easily get me a very intense "disapproving wife look".

I know I can get the 2x10 and 18 cab for about $200 more. That setup was the first one I wanted and then backed off a little and decided the cyclops was more than enough power for me. And i've got the money to buy it, its a matter of justifying the extra expense right now.

tough decision. I could use the extra $200 on other things and I know the cylops would be big enough.

But on the other hand......... It was the '18 cab that made me notice that setup in the first place. That would give me enough headroom for about anything I want to do with it. On the other hand...........

Now i've got a headache.

fisk

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Lets think this through.... You could get just the RC210 for now and pocket the savings (because by iteself it is less than the cyclops) and get the 18" cab later.... (voice goes down an octave) GIVE YOURSELF TO THE DARK SIDE.....

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol Fisk, I know what you mean. I just got engaged myself in January and I had to hide all the catalogs so she doesn't know the price of things. In fact just last night she was eyeing up a couple of my basses and the Cyclops trying to play some high/low guessing game with me to get the prices! Oh well, she's a good gal, she'll get over it.

I can't believe what a sucker I am for forums!
    I read gbrooks reply and I couldn't get this out of my mind, just like that...impulse buy. :(

Since I've had my Cyclops for only a couple weeks, I just now called them back and I'm going for the RC210-18 rig. They said I am on my own as far as shipping the Cyclops back so I'm going to lose out there, but you only go around once in this life. ;)

I like the r600 head, so now I'm just stepping up to drivers with more output. It's going to kill, I just know it. Plus I like the idea of lugging around only the 210 for more intimate situations. I'll need to see how it does on the low end, but I'm sure it will sound good. For some serious low end though, it's nice to know there's that 18 to fill in when I want it.

I think this setup will suit me nicely, I just hope my neighbors don't hate me for it. :p

11. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You guys are killing me.

gbrooks, thats not a bad idea of getting 210 now and the '18 cab later, but I want the deep sound of the big cabinet now. And like I said, i've got the money, its just spending the EXTRA money for 3 inches on one speaker and the twin 10's instead of 8's. Is it worth it?

seamus, you have a good point about just lugging around the 210 when thats all you need. That would be helpful.

Lots to consider.....

fisk

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    From what I have heard, for example from Rickbass1... It seems that the RC210 handles the lows pretty good by itself.

Of course that 18 won't hurt!!

It's shorter and 25 lbs lighter. That will help! Also it has a angled back incase you want to use it as a monitor and play through the house...

I honestly think it's a better deal. Thats why I have been trying to trade my cyclops for the RC210 straight up... But other people know the advantages already... hense.. I keep the cyclops. But I don't mind, it kicks butt too!! :)

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Not trying to persuade you at all fisk, I'm just a sucker for more thump. The 15 on the 6815 is plenty loud.

As far as the 8's, the 10's are going to be the most dramatic improvement. Just having heard the 8's and also hearing other 2x10 cabs before, I know that's the main reason I am going for this. The fact that they pair the 18 with it is just icing on the cake.

At this point, I'm just looking to move more air, nothing more. :)

I am however going to miss that the 6815 was all one unit, I liked that a lot.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Boy I won't miss that. That 103 lbs kicks my butt every time I throw it in the car, garage, next room... 2 inches over....

Hey, I am not a whimp! I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

g - Why don't you take those 4 screws out of the top? (That's what I did). When you take the head out, you've knocked 30 lbs. of the weight off the box.

16. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just sent a link to my wife of this thread.

Apparently, (switch to Ted Knights voice from caddyshack) "you'll get the cyclops and like it!!", was her answer.

All kidding aside, the 6815 is more than enough for me. Almost everything i've read about the cyclops has been great. It should be just fine for me.

Spring is almost here and I have a list of projects around the house a mile long. I could put the money to better use.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Time to go drink a bowl of milk.

fisk

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Good call on the Caddyshack. My girl always cracks up at that line.

Spalding: "I want a hamburger...no, a cheese burger. I wanna hot dog, french fries..."

TK: "You'll get nothing and LIKE it!"

Classic flick, I even had to buy it on DVD because it still makes me laugh.

At any rate, good luck with the Cyclops, you will enjoy it. :)

18. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think I am about to buy the 2x10, 1x15 with separate R600 stack (RL610) that they have in the catalog. I think I may go with the separate R600 head to cut down on weight. Does anyone have this stack? I think it should be versitile because it is not monsterously tall, but you can run just the 15" or just the 2x10 with the head. Any opinions?

-KB

19. I have been gigging with my Cyclops for a year now. I used a 2-10's and 18 with a Mark VIII 350 watt stack for years. With the Cyclops I almost doubled my power and cut my labor way back. On a few gigs just for fun I added my 18 cabinet to the low end of the Cyclops and let me tell ya it was beautiful. 18, 15, 2-8s and a horn. Thats what I like about the RC210 or the Cyclops. You have so many comdinations to play with and they all sound great. One thing I didnt like about the RL600 head was the black dot on the knobs. On stage they are hard to see so I got some white metal paint and an artist brush and painted the dot white. Just touch the brush to the dot and wipe over it with your finger. Easy enough to do and it makes a world of difference on stage.

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yet another RC210 fan here. If I run bi-amped into a home-made 15" cabinet the sound opens up and breathes more, but lately I have been really getting into just bringing the combo to gigs by itself. More than enough power, and definately a strong bottom!!

-robert