Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin amps....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 7, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    we hear alot about their basses.. how about those amps. what do you guys have to say? i think that the brx 2 12 portable combo looks rad. along with everything in the BRX line.

2. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    The BRX212 combo is the best sounding, loudest, most portable amp I've ever owned.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i was torn between it and getting an swr head/avatar cab a few months ago. i went with the swr/avatar due to the fact that i could play thru an swr and couldnt effectively try a carvin. the carvin looks cool, kinda like a take on the schroeder thing (but i think they had it first). however, i love my swr dearly. i wish it came in a combo with an accugroove cab. that'd b perfection.

4. FFK

FFK

Mar 7, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I use BRX cabinets and enjoy them very much.
    They can handle alot as well as high pops and really low thunder.
    I would recommend them without hesitation.
    I have 3 of the 10's and 1 18" cab.....some of the older 90's cabs too.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have the BRX12 & it kills. You'll be wondering if there's an 18 tucked in there somewhere. If you do a search you can find all the info you need on this series. It seems like I post this almost twice a week.

6. i have the Carvin Red Eye Combo. I don't really like the sound i'm getting from it though, and i already had to replace a blown speaker after like 2 months.:(

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    The redline stuff is definitely lacking compared to the BRX cabs. BRX has nothing to do w/Redline.

8. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Carvin slays. There's a Carvin combo in our rehearsal place, and it kicks ass!

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The search engine is your friend....

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If I could be convinced of this down to specifics.... as in, different design team, different circuit board manufacturers, etc., it would go a long way.... possibly even convince me to give one a try....

Would you happen to have any specifics that you can share, Blues Cat?

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That may be a tall order, I'm not sure Blues Cat or anybody else has that info.

More to the point, it's probably pointless. A different design team would not necessarily be better, nor would a different PC board maker. It wouldn't prove anything. The only thing that would actually be useful would be real experience with hearing and using the gear.

I can tell you that I've owned RedLine amps and the B1500 and the B1500 kills the R600 to my ears; it's not close. I can tell you that I've gone to the Carvin store in Santa Ana and A/Bed the gear for an extended period, and found that for my tastes, the BRX cabs were notably and obviously better in just about every way that matters (except for being harder to carry around, and even that may be changing with the new designs).

Naturally, my experience is anything but conclusive, and there's no reason on earth why you or anybody else should like what I like. My point is that IMHO worrying about a different design team or a different PC board maker is kinda barking up the wrong tree. What matters is how the stuff sounds and works and whether it works for you. And just saying that different people are involved (if that's even the case) will tell you absolutely nothing about those things.

12. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Having owned a R600, R1000, and a B1500, I can say that the B1500 is wayyyyyyyyy better than the redline series. I never liked the redlines, and could never find a sound I was happy with even with dozens of knobs. Never had any problems with them, but they never felt "solid" or put a smile on my face.

With the B1500, I have easily found many tones that put a smile on my face, and the power is more than I will ever use or need. Built like a tank also.....I know this from dropping it a few times (shhhhhhhh) So I am convinced with my real world trials, but would also be curious about the specs and info on paper.

Never had any experience with their cabs though. I wonder how the new Neos are?

13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    We do disagree, here.

Your points are well taken; however, poor reliability was the issue with my Redline. It didn't last two years. And if one surfs over to Harmony Central, and reads the reliability reports on them, the word isn't good. And some of those reports speak of the same "intermittent cut-out" gremlins that I experienced. Those issues certainly are related to design, component choice and manufacturing.

Frankly, I liked my Redline amp. It took a little work, but I was able to dial in the tones I liked. It "worked for me", to borrow your phrase. Then it started acting up, which forced me to move on. I couldn't gig with an amp that "dropped out" for a few seconds here and there.

If the BRX bears no similarity to the Redline, that's very good news to hear. But for those of us who had reliability issues with the Redlines, we'd really like to hear the specifics.

Blues Cat, I didn't mean to "put you on the spot", as it were. My apologies. But it really is something which I believe many former Redline owners are curious about.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    BBD, I know where you're coming from, no worries. I was just trying to say that if reliability was a problem for you before, bringing in new people or components isn't guaranteed to fix it. If the new people/things are no better, reliability will be no better. But if the same people are there, but the design is better, then things will be better. Results, in the final analysis, are what matters. From that POV, the fact that users have, in practical terms, found the BRX gear to be better sounding and more reliable should IMO count for more than what the engineer's name is or whether they signed a new vendor. The "specifics" that are important are not, hey, we signed John Q. Engineer to do our BRX gear--that proves nothing in itself--but hey, I've been using my gear for a solid couple of years now under demanding conditions and it's sounded good the whole time without crapping out once or even breaking a sweat. You know what I'm saying? Real world results.

Just my $0.02; it's all good.

15. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I think my counter to this would be, if the same people (design and manufacturing) and components are still in place, it's very unlikely that it's been fixed. As an engineer myself, I know - if you do things the same way, you'll get the same results.

But initial user reports on the new stuff seems to be quite good. If the reliability reports after 2-3 years on the market seem good also, I may have to get my hands on a B1500. I hope they are "nothing like" the Redlines. I really do.

I COULD be persuaded to do it sooner, if I knew that the technical factors which led to the reliability problems that I experienced with Redlines had been identified & addressed....... :bag:

As you said... it's all good....

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm trying to remember when I got mine. Seems to me it's been well over 1 year, and possibly 2. Not a single problem yet; however, I haven't given it heavy use, as I use my smaller rig a little more often.

Honestly, I don't know if they got new designers or not, or new vendors. I do remember being very impressed when I took off the cover of my B1500. Sucker looked *solid*, though you, as an engineer, might well see things I wouldn't. If I can dig up a photo I took, I'll post it for you, if that would help any.

Don't be offended, but I don't really have any vested interest in persuading you to do anything you don't want to or aren't ready to do. I don't work for Carvin, and they don't give me a dime. I don't run a music store either. I just mention this BRX stuff because I think it's good and because I think many (of course not all) folks *might* benefit from using it if they knew about it, which seemingly a lot of people still don't. Having more good options is a good thing--gives you more chances to find gear you're happy with, whatever that gear may be.

17. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not offended in the least. I'm the one who chimed in here - once it was mentioned that the new line is "different", my ears perked up. "How different?" was the question which crossed my mind.

My line of engineering is industrial, not electronic..... producing that coffee-looking stuff that makes your car go.... but if you have a pic of the insides, I'm sure lots of us would like to see.

18. b1500 is the best amp i have ever played. It sounds beautiful through any cab and absolutely melts the walls with multiple cabs. set it flat with literally any cabinet and you cannot go wrong.

19. i don't have a carvin bass rig, because i wasn't ready to buy one without trying it out first. but i did buy a guitar rig i found used. i figured, what the hell, i'm not a guitarist, it's really not that crucial that it be killer. but i have found out that it really is a great amp. it's a vintage 50's style all tube 50 watt head, dual channels and reverb. i also bought the 4x10 open back cab with it. their both tweed with oxblood grillcloth, so they look really cool! it came with eminence 10's, and sovtek tubes.

this thing should be called the fender slayer, because it's basically a rip-off of the old bassmans. but way better. i have let more than a few guitarists play through this rig at my practice room, and they've all been floored by it. i've had several people admit they wish they had one of these instead of the new bassman, and hot rod devilles. it also works very well for that marshall tone, at lower volumes of course. and there's definitely an eddie van halen tone in there too.

20. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Well, I own a Carvin DCM1000 power amp and I can tell you that It does a great job. I pair it with a BBE bmax or the SAPBDDI into a GK 4x10 cab and all is good! Lots of headroom (I bridge the DCM) and just a very reliable amp.