Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Mar 9, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have heard a LOT of great things about all kinds of products by carvin (anyone who has played on a carvin bass/guitar that i know says it plays better than anything else they have ever played on, and i know a few guys with carvin p.a.'s that sound awesome)... but i haven't heard much about their amps..... i may be considering getting a 600 watt head and a 4x10 cab.... please, anyone who owns or has played on either a carvin cab or a carvin head, give me some feedback, positive or negative...... how does the "tube emulation" sound? how well does the compressor work? how good is the eq?

thanks,
    - Evan

2. carvin has some badass guitar heads and cabs in terms of sound, but i've heard they're unreliable (played, but never owned one). don't know about bass stuff

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I used to play Carvin amps and basses but I don't care for the tone. The basses do play well but the pick-ups and electronics are second rate. Also I think the amps are OK for the price but there are lots of better products if you are willing to pay for it. The bass cabs are not recommended by many on this forum and I have to agree.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey man, im one of those carvin freaks you speak of. love it. im playing through an LB75PF, and an RC210T combo. the head in the combo (R600) is my favorite head i have ever played on, (aside from the R1000). i have the series 2 version, with an actual tube in the preamp. the speakers in the cab however, are crap. seriously. i would reccomend the head, but would seriously consider buying a different cab. you wont regret buying an R series head.

EDIT: i may be wrong. the R series heads are very versatile, sometimes quoted as beign a "chameleon". they do a lot of things very well, but they dont have one great "focus" i like the clean versatile sound. its very loud/powerful. however, since it is a jack of all trades, it really doesnt have much a sound of its own. you have to give it that through the myriad of eq options. i prefer it this way, you might not. (i put this in after reading the above post)

PS if i remember correctly someone did a mod to their RC210T, and put better speakers in it. they switched out the carvin PS10's for eminence kappa 10's. i elieve the thread was called "mod to my RC210" or something like that. theres a pic there of the speakers, both stock carvin (horrible) and the better kappas. check it out, im pretty sure you will see what im getting at.

best of luck with it, and feel free to email me with ?'s.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I modified my RC210 by replacing the stock Carvin speakers with Eminence Kappa's... The thread that SRSiegel mentions is here... Definite improvement in the overall sound of the cabinet.

From a separate standpoint, the head has been very versatile and has sounded great with host of different cabinets... My 1X15 homemade cabinet, a pair of Eden 2X10's (WOW!! :eek: ), and most recently, I got to run it through a Goliath Sr. The R600 head sounds great with any of these cabinets, good quality.

I got the RC210 in late '98, and with the exception of blowing up the stock speakers, I've never had a moments trouble in well over 100 gigs. For good sound and moderate power in a portable package, it can't be beat!

-robert