1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin and Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by totallybacan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    I'm a high school student working a part-time job that plays about 2 gigs a week. small to medium sized gigs where PAs are not always available. i want to upgrade my whole rig but have it easily separated into chunks. for this i was looking at the carvin b1500 head and either carvin 12's or avatar 12's. Unless there is another product for the same price or less, i only want to know which one i should be looking at. I was able to open up for he is legend this weekend and their bassist uses 812's and there is no lack of low end, so im not looking for anything bigger than a 12. portability is also an issue since my band is going on tour in a small van. any opinions?

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    If you're dead set on 12's and those two brands, it will have to be Avatar. Carvin doesn't have bass cabs with 12" drivers available currently, as they discontinued them a while back.

Liam

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    A pair of the 8 ohm 2x12 Avatars would work, if you're prudent with the EQ. If you like the B1500, you might consider a pair of the LS1503 PA cabinets. I know you said no bigger than a 12", but at 319 bucks each and recommended amplifier power of 600-700 watts each they would be killer with that head and an amazing value.

4. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks for the help. i definitely like the avatar. i'd like to get one for now and later get a second 4 ohm one. its not so much that im deadset on those two brands, but rather those prices and the power:dollar ratio. are any other brands that i should be looking at? and i know that more surface area is better for volume, but i've heard that 212's are louder than 410 on average. is this true? because now im stuck between either a 112, 212, or 410. i plan on matching it up with an identical pair in the future.

5. I would go with a nice Avatar 4x10 than down the road add another 4x10 or 2x12 . I run a 2x15 and long for smaller faster driving speakers.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Yeah I wish Carvin still made cabs with 12" drivers but they don't. Most people seem to really like the Avatar 212 NEO cabs, a pair of these (at 8 ohms each) would sound very good with that head. Plus you'll only have to haul one for small gigs (or leave one in the car, which is what I do in case one blows up).
    I prefer the sound of 212's over 410's, but that personal preference.

7. I run a carvin BX1200 and an avatar 410NEO, and I love it. I've never tried the 12's, but I'd imagine that they are great too. VOLUME (I'm at about 1.5-2 on the volume knob and only a little higher at shows) and tone (after a little bit of eq'ing you can get really thick). I'd highly reccommend that combo, it serves me really well.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Do you BRIDGE both AMP1 + AMP2 into your single cab? That's a lot of power... :eek:

9. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks guys for the help. my biggest issue is power. my guitarist is using a mesa rectifier road king 2 and at low volumes easily overpowers me. when we start touring this summer, the main problem is space and power because PA will almost never be available for bass. That being said, if i follow through with the carvin and an avatar, id probably want to eventually get two 212 or a 212 and a 410. but this leads to another question. 8 or 4 ohm?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    How else would you practically bridge other than using both channels of a dual power amp?

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    He doesn't have to bridge the two amps... I see now that the Avatar's rated at 1000w.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Given a choice between carvin and Avatar cabs I'd go with avatar. From what I can tell Carvin's using some kind of knockoff bullcrap drivers these days and Avatar's using quality eminence speakers.

Did anyone ever find out for sure who makes Carvin's new drivers?

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Of course not. But he can.

That really has little bearing on the subject one way or another. Thermal/continuous ratings really don;t reflect the reality of limited driver excursions, or how well a player/user leverages their gain structure.

14. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    bx1200 and two neo brx210's .

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Carvin stilll uses Em in a lot of their bass cabs. And calling the others bullcrap may be premature, considering what's in a lot of other bass cabs ; }

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Just remember, if you buy one now and want another later, get an 8 ohm. Two 4 ohm cabs makes for a 2 ohm load, something that most heads cant handle. Then if you buy another 8, it will become 4 ohms.

I went through this when buying my 210, it was a good learning experience.

And 2 gigs a week!? Lucky! :spit:

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, most bass cabs are bullcrap :) However, we know for sure Avatar uses pretty good quality eminences in their cabs.

I'd say the take-away from my comment is : Know what speakers are going into your cab, and don't let anyone slip you the junk :)

18. I've played gigs thru Avatar 2-12 and B410, very nice sounding cabs. Plenty of low end and punchy mid, with pentrating highs. Currently I'm playing thru a Carvin BRX10.4, it's a uber sweet cab, that def fills the room without a PA. Though Carvin doesn't make the 2-12 anymore the BRX series cabs and drivers are excellent, I highly recommend them.

19. I currently use one of the BRX10.2 with a Schorder 1212 with that amp and it sounds great. I would say that you would be good with one of the BRX10.4 or even 2 of the 10.2. The BRX line Carvin came out with is awesome!

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Sure if you want to get all technical but most of us regular Joe's usually try to avoid running 1200w into a 400w cab.
    My point was I didn't realize the Avatar was rated that high. I do like the new styles.
    I guess I should have assumed he was bridging both his amps into the Avatar. It makes sense but isn't necessary.