Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin and LaBella

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 4, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Apparently Carvin strings are made by Labella. That doesn't seem to be the whole story, however. I went up there the other day (I live in San Diego) to get a couple of things, and while I was there, I checked out the strings. The flatwounds are definitely not the same as LaBella Deep-Talkin' flats. For instance, the B string of the Carvins is not tapered, and the LaBella is. The silk is a different color, also. The stainless roundwounds look very much like LaBellas, though, with the silk being wrapped in the same pattern and length. I bought a set of the stainless six-string bass strings, but I haven't tried them yet. It will be interesting to see how they compare with Hard Rockin' Steels, my current favorite.

I also picked up some five-string tapewounds, which are LaBellas in LaBella packaging. As far as I can tell, these are the same tapewounds you would buy elsewhere, just a lot cheaper.

Just thought you might like to know. :)

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I really like the stainless Carvins, especially for the price! They're bright and reasonably long lasting, and the low B is relatively free of the bad overtones I find with many other manufacturers' low Bs.

I haven't tried the La Bella stainless strings for comparison.

3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I'm trying to find the right flats for my G&L 5 fretless so I'm curious how you like the tape wounds?

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the tapes, but I must say the B string is duller and thuddier than the other strings. These have a different character than most flats I've tried. They're fairly bright, but not in a roundwound sort of way. Kind of hard to describe.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really like Carvin strigs, and for 12 bucks, you really can't beat them. I thought someone told me a while back that they were using Markley to make their strings, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.