Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin and Wamoth necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Nov 5, 2000.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, as some of you may know, I'm looking into getting a Roscoe Beck. I'm also looking into getting a fretless four string. So I decided, hey why not just buy a fretless neck for my four string - despite my 4's cheap quality, it really does have a good sound to it. So I'm wondering: who makes a quality replacement neck (fretless, pao ferro)? I've heard good things about both Carvin and Warmoth. Anyone else I should know about? I figure that it's a cheap way to get the sound I want and to also replace the warped neck on my current bass. As always, thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Warmoth make a fine neck that will certainly be better quality that your original neck sounds. The Carvin neck design will not work with a Fender style bass it's got too many frets. To use a Carvin neck you would have to move the bridge or change the neck pocket on your bass.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    FYI, Knight, it's paU Ferro, despite what the Fender Frontline magazine might say.

I've played Carvin necks and they feel very comfortable. Warmoth licenses their Fender-style necks from Fender, so it's a given that they feel like Fenders. Also, you can get a lot of different neck styles, I think.

Before you order a neck, though, you should check the classifieds. I think I saw someone advertising a fretless '71 Fender neck there. ;)

Will C.:cool:

4. Since you need a decent neck but don't need to make it the strongest link in a weak chain, try Stewart/MacDonald, Mighty Mite, or Allparts for a neck. These guy provide a great selection at some considerable savings to Warmoth.And I love Warmoth.I'm sure you'd welcome the extra $100 or so for the Roscoe B. project! :)