1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin artist endorsement/sponsorship

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I believe this is in the right forum, if not please relocate it to the right one :). I was wondering if anyone here had any experience in pursuing/receiving an endorsement or sponsorship from Carvin as my band and I are interested in attaining this. For what our leader/frontman does, one of the acoustic electrics offered by Carvin would fit the bill to a "T", allowing him to switch between acoustic and electric sounds instantaneously instead of unplugging, switching rigs and having to kill time while all this is happening. Our guitar player is also very interested in a Carvin guitar. Both from his positive exposure to my bass and the fact that, while his Washburn has served him well, his ability/skill level is starting to exceed his guitar (intonation, neck and fretboard issues). I figured since I already play a Carvin bass, use a Carvin power amp as part of my rig and my bandmates are interested, pursuing something with Carvin would be a great/smart way to get them outfitted with better gear at a better price point if not for free. The band has/is already touring in Europe as well as a few dates in the US and we just released a single to AC and INSPO Christian Radio, so I think that's enough exposure to warrant some kind of deal. Even if I could just get a deal that'd be great! I'd really like to rebuild my bass, but with a multi-piece neck, maple fretboard, and different color, so any deal I can get would accelerate that becoming a reality. :)

2. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    In every such company there are individuals whose job is to give stuff away or offer discounts in return for endorsements. You must make their job easy. You have to have two things to make it worthwhile for you and them: 1. A very high opinion of their gear. 2. A fairly large audience who takes notice of what gear you use.

3. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    From my understanding of it, Carvin doesn't do the freebie thing. If your band is looking for an endorsement deal you should contact them.

You should check out the Carvin forum and talk to mariosangermano (i.e. send him a PM). He's a current Carvin endorsee thats doing some good sized shows and is a regular on the forum.

Like most of the folks on that forum he's very down to earth and easy to get along with. It is a company specific site so yes there is a bit of "fanboyism" but it's also an "older" crowd that can give you straight answers about all sorts of topics and gear.

I hope this helps and good luck to you and your band.

4. Good stuff! I definitely have a high opinion of the gear, I've been using my LB75 10+ years! :) I just hope that by showing them our press for our newest radio single release and from our former/future tour(s) that it will be enough to interest them. I mean on my end alone, I play at a fairly large church that live-streams service on a weekly basis, play for 2 decent sized young adult venues regularly as well as backing another recent break out Christian artist, Jess Anderson, for local shows on top of my main band. IMO, church community is the easiest platform to "get the word out" and drum up interest in stuff. You're constantly in front of a large amount of people and are always talking about/checking out each other's gear. To me it sells itself, but hopefully they see it that way...

5. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    What is your draw?

6. Just like any other "sponsorship proposal" you should try to include the following stuff if at all possible:

1)Opening letter stating your why you're pursuing said sponsorship and why the relationship would be mutually beneficial-especially if you offer brand exposure/exclusivity in return. Also specifically offer X-amount of Brand ads/weblinks/updates on your webpage, fliers, etc.

2)Links to your EPK, which hopefully includes tons of photos of you guys already using said gear, gig schedule, "official release" recordings, 3rd party press/reviews, etc;

3)Some details about the band's future plans (bigger tour next year, more TV/press exposure, etc...) always help as well. This basically shows that you have a solid business plan in place with the intent of growing your own "business" in the future.

Basically, they're not in the business to give stuff away but if you present yourselves in a professional fashion and show a willingness to provide something in return for their "investment" then you should be in good shape. At this point, don't expect freebies, but maybe 15-20% under dealer wholesale level (plus schwag for giveaways).

FWIW, I spent a over a decade in the high-end bicycle industry and handled sponsorships for several major component manufacturers. These are some of the main things I looked for and should serve as a good starting point for you guys. Good luck:)

7. We have a strong following in Europe, usually a few thousand/show. Our exposure in the US is a little more limited, but hopefully that changes with the release/exposure of our new radio single.

8. Thanks for all this, I really hope they go for it. It would tremendously improve our live experience to have better gear in our hands! :)

9. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    vt
    Years ago my brother was a Carvin endorsee. At the time they required him to send in his bands press pack and schedule. I believe he got a 40% discount on all of their products.

10. 40% below cost? That would be AWESOME!

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That'd be 40% off retail.

Are you signed? That's requirement #1 according to Carvin.

12. I did see that, it's not a major label like they also state. I'm hoping they'd still be willing to work with us though.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's what it says there....

Do you have national distribution?

14. Yep

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Cool, man - send them your stuff! Sounds like you've at least got a shot at it. Remember, endorsement deals are more about the relationship between the company and endorser than the gear. Think about what you bring to the table for Carvin, more than what they can do for you.

And good luck man!

16. Not that I expected to be "disrespected", but it's cool to have received this support on here instead of people taking the "it prolly won't happen, better luck playing the lotto" attitude. I do understand that an endorsement is a business agreement and the gear is more of a perk, but if I get a deal which makes it easier to afford more gear, than I can just brag on Carvin even more! I'm addicted to their basses lol.

17. The added bonus of an endorsement deal is in the band marketing area. Verified endorsements (especially if you're listed on their website, etc) really add weight to an EPK and are also good selling tools for your promo/booking folks.

18. Does anyone know how they'd feel about aftermarket electronics?

19. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I probably wouldn't mention it to them. They won't even know if you alter the electronics after the fact. Not sure why you'd want to pass on the electronics in the sb series if that's what you play. Those basses give boutique Lulls and Sadowskys a run for their money. If it wasn't for the funky body shape and relatively high weight I'd probably have an sb5000.