1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

carvin+avatar: doom on a budget?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Alexander, Jun 25, 2007.

1. As some of you know, I was looking at getting a Markbass LMII to breathe some new life into my rig. After some looking around, I have found some other amps that are even more powerful, and cost the same or less. Plus, I play in a indie/screamo band. Crystal clear tone is not too important. :rolleyes:

One thing I have been thinking of doing is a makeover of my rig. The 300 watts of my Ashdown and the 2 15"s of my Sunn aren't keeping up very well with a really loud drummer and a loud guitar player. I've already damaged my speakers a little bit, so I know I can't push them anymore (and it's not like my Ashdown could, either).

So, as of right now, I'm looking at Carvin heads and Avatar cabinets. More specifically, the Carvin BX1200 and Avatar B212 Neo cabs.

I really like the Carvin because of the massive EQ capacity it has. The 5-band, 3 sweep tone controls is great in itself, but then when you add the foot-switchable 9 band graphic EQ, there's got to be tons of usable tones in this thing. The 225W at 8 ohms, 400W at 4 ohms, and 600W at 2 ohms isn't too shabby, either :ninja: .

Now, on to the Avatars. From everything i've heard, 12"s would be perfect for me. They're punchy like 10s, but can have the bottom of 15s, which is what I use now. I've also heard many good reviews about these specific cabinets. I know they aren't the greatest cabinets in the world, but at $300 and 500W, it's a great deal for some pretty dang good cabinets. Everyone seems to get along with the Eminence drivers, too. Plus, they are much more portable than my Sunn, and would maybe even make a good combo (does a 2x12" + 2x15" stack sound like doom to anyone? :ninja: )

So, I would imagine that getting this setup, a Carvin BX1200 with 2 Avatar B212 cabinets would be pretty killer. A potential 1000W of handling with an amp that can deliver.

Sorry for the long post, but I like to explain my reasoning behind a potential purchase.

Any thoughts?

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    If your going to do it with 2 cabs, I'd go the B1500 head. 1000 watts and two, 212 cabs, isn't enough power to wake'em up. Belive me, I've made that mistake. 1000 in to one cab, would give some head room, and make it talk, but with two, you can run it to clipping, and it will still seem like it wants more. The B1500 works just fine, with two cabs. If you want to do it just once............Just my opinion.

3. I see. It still suprises me that this setup wouldn't "wake up" the cabs. I definately won't need all 500W out of these cabs, either.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Yeah, you may be right. I was thinking about the older cabs that I had, that weren't Neo. Those Neos should push good with 1000 watts. I haven't actually had the pleasure of playing through the Neo 12s, but I sure love my Neo 10s. Good Luck to you!! I love Texas!!

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sounds like a winner to me. I'd get the 8-ohm cabs, then run 'em with the BX1200 in bridged mode @ 1,200 watts for a 4-ohm load. That should rock the house... :bassist:

MM

6. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    I have a Carvin B800 bass head, which I run through an Avatar 4X10, and it's solid. Super loud and powerful and a really great tone.

Carvin has great customer service too, I have a loose power cord so I called them, and they sent me a new one without any hassel whatsoever. Just waiting for it.

7. I am thinking of the Carvin HD900 and Sansamp RBI to use as a preamp to go with my Avatar 212 Delta and 210 Neo Cab 8 ohm cabs

900 Watts at 4 ohms with great tone for about $600.00

8. Could you please enlighten me as to what bridged means? I see it all over the forum and know doing it will give you insane amounts of wattage. I have a feeling that it 'bridges' the two channels of the amp into one, but how do you connect more than one cabinet to it?

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Just curious, but what is your guitar player running?

10. He runs an SG through a 70's era ('75 i think) Acoustic 100 head with it's matching 6x10 cab. It gets pretty freaking loud.

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yea, that'd force you to damage a 2x15 cab... :crying:

12. Yeah. Since i've learned how to EQ properly, i've been getting some more volume out of my rig with no damage, but the months and months of a pretty bass-heavy EQ has done it's damage. Plus, my head is running at pretty much it's full output. I figure it's time for a new setup.

13. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, it simply allows you to combine the output of both channels into one. Connecting the cabinets shouldn't really differ from the way you connect them in dual-channel mode: Run each of them straight from the amp's speaker out jacks as usual. Otherwise, daisy-chain them (i.e. run a cable from the amp to the first cab, then from the first cab straight into the other cab)...

MM

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been thinking about a Carvin + Avatar rig. I just order a 4 ohm B410 Neo in LineX today. I have a LMII that I'll be pushing it with. I'm gonna see how the 500 watts does before going bigger. I think it will probably do the trick, as I'll have PA support. Just need to cut through the stacks and drums on stage and get a little bump in the front row.

15. I think I would have to daisy-chain them together. With two 8-ohm cabs, what would the impedence of them be?

BTW, here's a picture of the back panel of the BX1200

[​IMG]

16. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It does appear from the photo that you get one dedicated Speakon jack to use in bridge mode. If so, then yes: daisy-chain the cabs.

However you connect them, two 8-ohm cabs run in bridged mode is still gonna put a 4-ohm load on your amp...

MM

17. All right. Thanks for the explanation.

The final thing to be decided is what ohm cabs to get. I've been thinking of getting two 4-ohm cabs so I could use only one for a standalone at a smaller gig. Or, should I get two 8 ohm cabs so I can run the amp bridged?

What are the benefits of bridging? More headroom?

18. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think you still don't quite understand. Here are the output ratings from Carvin's BX1200 web page:

If you get 4-ohm cabs, the most you'll be able to draw from the amp for one cab is 400 watts - IF you use just one of the two channels. Now, you would be able to run just one cab in bridged mode - thus giving you the full 1,200 watts. But the only way you'll ever be able to use both cabs is if you use just the one channel - meaning that each cab will then draw no more than 300 watts.

Now, if you get 8-ohm cabs, you'll be able to run one cab at as much as 800 watts - IF you run the amp in bridged mode. It doesn't mean you have to use all 800 watts - it just means you have all that extra power available if you ever want it or need it. And when you want/need to run both cabs, each cab will then be getting about 600 watts - or the full 1,200 watts in total. If you get 4-ohm cabs, you'll never be able to run 'em both in bridged mode - because the amp isn't rated for a 2-ohm load in bridged mode. See how that works?

Precisely. More headroom...

MM

19. Ah! Thank you very very much for that explanation!

8 ohm cabs it is!

Thanks so much :bassist:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021