Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin B1500 and 5 string(with low B)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Sep 21, 2005.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I'm definately goign to get carvin's BRX 4x10, but im not sure if i want to to use their head also. My main concern lies in the fact that the sub bass knob boosts only 50hz........

Do you think it will hurt the character of my b string? Mybe i should check out something else in a similar price range

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have the B1500 w/BRX12 & it is huge & versatile sounding. the EQ is not an issue. It actually shows that they approached designing this head the right way. The 410 goes down to 26hz, why would you want to boost what the cab does naturally.
    It will not hurt the character of your Bstring. If anything it will help Eb down to B. This rig is great for detuning as well.
    Also check out the review in BP a few months ago. They gave pretty much the whole rig a thumbs up.

3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    May i ask what type of music you play?

I play gospel, R&B, funk, and hip hop. What is huge on the bottom for you may be lacking for me.

Also could you explain why it shows that they approached head design the right way. I see lots of well respected amp companies add 30hz sliders or switches for sub bass if you nee dit

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    For the last year & a half I've been playing the blues (secular) & contemporary praise & worship, although the church is backlined.

As far as lowend, I like to have drinks move across the table. I find that as the volume needs to come up, I end up reducing the sub bass (50hz) just a little. I've been trying to go for a more detailed flatter sound lately instead of a midrange scoop, feel it only sound. So i'm getting all the lows of my SWR but w/better definition. I'm even slightly boosting the high mid to get more definition. Players that aren't very accurate w/their right hand won't like this setting cause it lets you know when you're off, also keeps me from digging in to hard.

I'm getting definition w/a HUGE foot & leg massage w/the cab decoupled off the floor 4" w/the casters. I brought the rig in the living room, hit low E & the antennae on the TV flew off & the windows bowed out from 15' away. If you want more lows you could dial in more 50hz.

That's cool that other manufacturers give you the 30hz eq, I'm all about more options. It would be interesting to see if they include 30hz eq because their cabs might only go down to 45hz or 40hz.

As far as why it shows they designed it the right way, check out some of the threads that are explaining why you should use the 30hz filter on their QSC amps. Some even use the 50hz filter, that's probably too much for me. It makes for a more managable sound live & in the studio.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2393065#post2393065

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    According to the manual (not the website), the sub bass IS at 30 Hz. And even if it weren't, that wouldn't necessarily be as big a problem as you're assuming it is. In the first place, an EQ control doesn't only affect the frequencies it's set at, it also affects frequencies lower and higher (unless it's a shelving control). How wide the spread goes varies depends on the control. So even if you had a control centered on 40 Hz, it could theoretically affect frequencies down to 30 or so. In the second place, it's not always necessarily a great thing to be able to roll on a ton of ultra-low frequencies, because if you do, and the boosted frequency is below the tuning frequency of the cab, it can sound like crap and risk damage to the cab. In the third place, you don't always need a ton of true fundamental to sound deep. I've heard great low Bs come out of cabs that supposedly can't go that low. It's sort of an aural trick that the right cab can deliver.

But in any case, the B1500 (I own one) is plenty capable of serious low end. What may fool you at first is that it has a very wide range, with an extended and articulate treble. This may make you think it's bass-shy. It isn't. Just turn down the treble if you need to.

Do realize, though, that if you get the BRX 4-10 cab, that's an 8 ohm cab, so you're getting 700 watts rather than 1250 or 1900. IMO if big booty is your priority, you'd benefit from giving that amp a 4 ohm load (1250 W) if you can, whether by using a 4 ohm cab or by using a 2nd 8 ohm cab, like another BRX 410 or maybe the BRX18.

Finally, no, it won't hurt the character of your B string. No good amp with tons of clean power would hurt the character of your B string. What's more likely to hinder B string performance is (1) an amp that doesn't have enough power or (2) a cab that can't pump out the lows.

6. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Thanks guys. I'll definately be getting the b1500 now.

And richard, on the website it says the 18 is also 8 ohms.

I still think im gonna get the BRX 4x10, but could someone reccomend some 4 ohm cabs in a similar price range(500-600)? The Avatar 4x10 is cheap and i can get 4 ohms, but is it the same level as Carvin's brx cabs?

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Don't get too hung up on ohms. You need to take efficiency into account, and I probably should have mentioned that in my last post. True, into a 4 ohm cab you will get a max of 1250 W from the B1500, but that won't make you louder if your cab is less efficient--you'll lose any volume advantage you got from the greater power. I think the BRX 10 has a rated sensitivity of 102 DB at 1 w/1 m, or something like that. You might want to check the Avatar's sensitivity. If it's 99 or less you might not gain anything volume-wise from getting it. Of course, numbers don't tell the whole story; sensitivity ratings aren't 100% guarantees of relative volume. But it's something to take into account.

I can't say whether the Avatars are as good, not having tried them. I will say that IMO the BRX410 is quite good, noticeably and significantly better than the older Carvin RedLine cabs. I'll also say that a lot of folks here love their Avatars.

Of course, you also have to think about tone. No point getting a cab that's louder if it has a worse tone.

8. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I'm tempted by the avatar because it gets gets great reviews and is a few hundred less than carvin's 4x10

Not sure if i would get the Neo or the Kappa though.