1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B1500 and B2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, May 11, 2010.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Didn't really see a consolidated thread on this particular topic so..

What do you think - major difference? Does the B2000 and its switching power lose something the toroidal transformer in the B1500 gives you? In my opinion, there is a subtle lack of depth or true low end in the B2000 that is not lacking in the B1500. Reminds me of when I matched my Kern pre with the CA9 and a PLX1800. Major difference in depth and oomph.

The B2000 with a swapped out EHX tube really adds the grit that you can't dial in with the B1500. The drive knob on the B1500 seems to give you more variety than the B2000. I'm keeping both for now. The B1500 is so legendary. The B2000 is sort of an unproven animal at this point.

2. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
  3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Actually, not talking about the BX1500, but the B1500.

Bumping this before posting in the B1500 thread. Still on the fence between the B1500 and the much lighter B2000. Both great heads, tho.

4. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Maybe you missed this on the thread that I mentioned.
    How about this ?

Figured out the search function yet?

5. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I saw the 2nd one but not the first. I bought the B2000 from the second poster. Was looking for more opinions.

And.......no need to be an a$$hole about it.:ninja: Otherwise take your 163 posts and go elsewhere.

6. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    We appreciate you looking around, but there's no need for the attitude. The OP is a supporting member and is helping the forum out far more than you are by suggesting we use the search function.

Take the wit and s**t elsewhere. Thanks. I've got your back, mrpackerguy. :)

7. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks buddy.

8. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    You tell 'em dog:mad:

9. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks Tom! Heard you were playing Bratfest. Sorry I missed it.

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Whoa there, partner...a moderator might not take kindly to you violating the rules of the board...Rule #1 and Rule #2.

Not that I disagree whatsoever, just relaying my misfortune at violating Rule #1 and crossing the board.

/also, I don't think there has been a thread dedicated to the compare/contrast of the B1500 and B2000. Only roundabout threads...this could be a good clearinghouse for this topic.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bump for more replies. But less strife and contention... :rolleyes:

MM

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    First off, I would never attempt to diss mrpackerguy; y'all heard me. That Bassett in his avatar is the spittin image of my much loved and mucho missed B-hound, Rudolph "Rudy" Valentino. He was my best buddy for a too short 12 years. He was the runt of the litter but turned out to be the Best Dog Ever!

And I too wonder about what to do with my like new B1500. I tried to sell it locally got a few almosts but no cigar. So I figure I'll just keep it handy.

I made a somewhat badtaste joke here that "one day they'll discover all the micro-heads are causing some form of lethal cancer and everyone will be tossing theirs in the trash and go looking for some heavy iron again like the B1500, then we'll have em here ready to make a killin". I know; cancer not a funny subject ever. :rolleyes: Too soon?

My point being everything old is new again. I wish I had not sold my mint Bassman 135 head w/4x12 cab for $60 bucks :eek: to my nephew since I just had gotten my ooh-too-cool Avatar cabs a few years back. If I owned a white belt and white shoes they'd be on Ebay right now for all the retro-dudes.

So, yeah I say hang onto that B1500 it just might be cool again soon. That being said, if anyone wants to trade their B2000 for my B1500 (in 3sp SKB rolling rack), I'll take it. Everything old is new again; cept for my old, aching back, Dang! :D :bassist: "You aint nuttin but a hounddog".....

13. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    B1500 - one of my favorite heads of all time. It's just with the smaller heads out there, for some of us older gents, it's just not worth the extra strain. I sold mine, took a big hit on it. I think there's a general attitude out there that Carvin stuff is 2nd class and I think that's true to a small degree on some of their lower end gear. And perhaps because their gear is typically very reasonably priced for what you get. But they hit homeruns on several pieces of gear...the B1500, the Bx500, for example. I kind of view the B1500 as a "younger man's amp" only because of the weight, and sort of akin to the Aguilar DB750 which is also a heavyweight, but with a tone some guys will suffer for.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a pic showing the B1500 doing something that it most definitely excels at: driving two fEarfuls!

IMG_8978.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

Session1969 likes this.
  15. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Never tried a b200, but my b1500 was always good to me, weight and all. I heard that the b2000 which uses class d power amps is not as good on the high frequencies vs the lows, kinda sterile as I've heard. There have been reliability issues (B2000), perhaps it has been worked out since then.

16. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Oh! My achin' back!! :D

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL! It's worth noting that those cabs were specifically designed to be light, so that stack is not anywhere near as heavy as it looks. The 15/6/1 weighs 59 lbs, and the 12/6cube/1 weighs 48 lbs.

18. Great thread! I've considered the B1500, especially now that there are a ton of used ones out there. But the tube pre on the B2000 really made me think twice and sounded like a cool feature.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Righto, and with Arauco or Falcatta or similar plywoods one can easily hit 35 pounds or under on 12/6, and 50 pounds or under on 15/6. But it's not about being the lightest - it's about having the most SPL potential per cubic measure and weight. Sufficiently powered, these babies go very very loud WITHOUT sacrificing sub-100 Hz performance - and without needing to fib up some midrange peak or boomy midbass hump to seem "efficient". It's BIG TONE and BIG LOUDNESS in a relatively small package.

20. robboy

robboy

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    I too would be interested in a direct comparison of the 1500 and 2000. I really like my B1500 but it is a bit heavy for an old guy like me. It's not really heavy just enough to make me wish it was lighter going up and down stairs. Looking at the catalog it appears that Carvin, like many other companys, feels the need to bring out new and different to boost sales. That said, I would still like to know if the B2000 is a good amp. I would think that they would have to be different just because of the difference in circuitry but maybe not in which case I will be wanting a B2000.