1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B1500 + Avatar 410Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyFingers, Nov 30, 2006.

1. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    So...after reading the odyssey length review of the Carvin B1500 by SMASH and the abridged one by KJung, I'm kinda GAS'n for one of those heads. I was also thinking about the B800, but it would only be (comparatively) a 50 watt increase from my current amp - a SWR Workingman's 8004 (which has been getting on my nerves as of late b/c of its "pillowy bass response" - I've been wanting/needing a tighter bottom-end in my sound for more aggressive music - metal, hardrock ect.).

On the top of my GAS list, right now, though, is an Avatar 410Neo (to replace my Behringer BB410 - yes, yes I know, I was young and uneducated in bass equipment at the time).

So, has anyone out there shackled the B1500 beast to one of these cabs and rocked out?

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I own a Carvin B1500. I currently play through an Epifani UL212. Previously, I had a Schroeder 410L (4X10 neo). I have not played through the Avatar. There are obvious differences between the Avatar and the Schroeder, so my experience would be very different from yours. However, I can say that the B1500 would easily deliver all of the punch and bottom that your Avatar is capable of. I would definitely recommend trying the Carvin B1500. It is a very well made, high-quality amp. It has incredible headroom, and you can get some great tones out of it. If you don't like it, you can return it and only be out the cost of return shipping.

Kevin

3. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    How many Ohms are you running your cab at?

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    4 ohms, so it's getting 1250w from the Carvin. :eek:
    That's enough juice for most gigs, I think...:D

Cheers,
    Kevin

5. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA

So I guess you just make sure not to push your cab too hard - since at 4 ohms you are 450watts over your cabs RMS of 800 ;) .

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

Bah! The way I see it, the 800W is merely a suggestion...

:D

7. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    So...has anyone rocked out with this amp/cab combination?

8. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    bump for an old thread. good question

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I will be answering this question next week. My B1500 should be here sometime this week, and I have two Avatar 410 Neos, both 4 ohm cabs, so we'll be running the full Monte. Can hardly wait. I was using a Carvin DCM2000 with a pre, so I expect it to be quite similar power wise, which was about as close to nervana as a guy can get. I thought I could be happy with less power again, but .......................I feel the need.

10. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    my only warning is if you are similar to me. that may be awesome for a while, but you may encounter rapidly changing needs or desires in the future, and the turn around resale of that rig will be disgustingly low.

i recommend used gear, because barely used stuff can be had for 2/3 of the price all the time.

but that's just me.

11. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I own the B410 Neo and the Carvin B800. Although I've never had volume/level issues, go with the B1500 since you are doing the metal thing. Although the B410 can handle a lot, don't go nuts with the volume on a head that powerful - you'll tear those drivers up in due time. Keep the Behringer cab around as a back-up or 2nd cab.

Joegeezer will need to acquire a noise permit before trying his new rig!

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thats the sweet part of living way out in the sticks. The only ones to bitch at me are the cows, and they don't care at all.

13. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Been sitting here all day waiting for FedX to bring my B1500 today. It finally showed. I unboxed it, and promptly saw that it had been dropped real hard, or thrown down, and the weight of the transformer has bent the hell out the bottom plate of the amps chassis, which is what it actually is, is bottom plate and chassis plate all in one. So I figured I would see if it still worked anyway, and live with it, but it doesn't power up, plus I started to get that magic smell, so I shut it off right away. I called FedX and started the process. Now it will be over a month until I have an amp again. Can't say how mad I am. Don't want to say any more until I hear from FedX and get this process statred. There is alot more to the story, but I'm holding off for now. Unless somebody else gets lucky enough to actually finish this thread, I'll start up again later. DAMN!!

14. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    DROP!!

15. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Call Carvin...
    Even though the blame lies with the shipper, you NEVER KNOW.

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    If it was Carvin, I'd have no problems. This is the used one I just bought on here from fellow TBer BassJunkie730. I just had to try to save 200 bucks, ya know. Now I get to pay for it all over again. Never, guys do what I just did. Drop the extra clams and buy it new. Then you won't have to go through all the hoops I'm about to go through.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, that sucks. Hopefully it won't be too expensive a repair. Good luck with that...

MM

18. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I just want to clear the air here. I refunded Joe's money plus the dough he lost in retracting an Ebay auction. He and I are more than square and I appreciate his patience.

I've had my claim denied twice - but I'm going for lucky number three.

I'm going to get a repair estimate from Carvin and ship it to them to get fixed (or officially pronounced DOA).

At any rate - the B1500 would drive B410 neo like a champ - heck just get four of them!