Carvin b1500 Head, anyone ever play it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, Dec 1, 2004.

1. I would love to know this too. It has specs, looks and price. I know it has monstorous watts but I am not sure its reasonable price tag would be socially acceptable. I see people on TB paying 1500+ for ss heads with only 500 or less watts.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Jorg Schroeder has one he's been gigging... he's raved to me about it.
  3. Nice powermatch for that cab 1250 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Nice portable rig for what. . .$1600-ish?

Less than a metro or redhead combo at any rate.
  4. wow guys im probably getting a head tommorow and its between the gk1001 and this is seriously considering this can ya help me out.

P.S. - I just ordered a avatar 2x10 and 1x15 i think this head would be a very good match.
  5. I would try this one out. They have a return policy. We need your review.
  6. I bought it ~ 2 1/2 months ago for outdoor gigs (indoors I use my AI Focus 1R), when Carvin had a sale going on, $659.00 sounded too good to resist; and that says it already all. LOUD, simple to use, 2000 Watts @ 2 ohm, very logical eq. section and my outdoor rig under $1,600.00 .This new B1500 is based on Carvin's DCM2000 power amp series (so I've been told), very well built and all the bells and whistles I need for a large venue and IMO more effiicient, better sounding than the old red line series amps, which I tried a few years ago and wasn't too thrilled with. All in all super bang for the buck and the sound versatility is very good.
  7. Hi Jorg is that a bucket in front of you saying Tips for Bass player !!

Hope you are well

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like this amp too. I haven't played it out a lot, because my EA iAmp 500 does me fine for most of the stuff I'm doing right now, but the B1500 did handle an outdoor gig for me with balls, volume, and clarity. And the more I play the B1500 at home, the more I like it. I looked inside, and it seems to be built solidly and well. I would take it over a G-K in a flash (no offense to G-K fans).

9. +1
  10. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    What about the B500?
  11. How about tone quality? Which amp is it most like?

SS Ampeg

SWR working man

SWR professional

Ashdown MAG

Every amp has some character or coloring but nobody has told us how they would classify the sound. For example, I think Eden reminds me of a cross between ampeg and swr.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No idea. AFAIK everything is the same except the amount of power, so I'd expect it to sound pretty similar at lower volumes.
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't think it sounds like any of these, really. In their promo stuff, Carvin touts this as having a "boutique flat response." Weeeeelllll, I dunno about all that boo-teek stuff, but I will say the response does strike me as pretty flat and even throughout its range, without sounding sterile. The treble extension is very good with my Acmes; harmonics sound amazing. Back when the B1500 came out, some of the guys on the Carvin board were calling it "Ampeg-ish," but I don't really hear that. You could get into that neighborhood with EQing and appropriate use of the Drive control, I think, but I wouldn't say the basic sound was Ampeg-ish. Overall, I'd say that it's more full-range and clearer than SS Ampeg B4 and B2 (the only ones I'm familiar with); tighter (but not smaller) in the bottom than the Eden WT-400, and without that characteristic Eden "zing" you get on a WT when you up the Treble; smoother, less middly, and wider-sounding than the G-K 400s and 800s I've played; less dry than the relatively few Peaveys I've played (can't speak to their newer stuff); clearer and sweeter than the one Ashdown head I've spent any time with recently. Haven't had recent enough experience with SWR WM or Pro to have an opinion.

To paraphrase the old cliche, talking about tone is like dancing about architecture, so I dunno if this will help much. The best thing, of course, would be to go to Cali and try the amp out in a store. However, as was pointed out, they do have a return policy.
  14. Thanks. That helps. Usually when people talk about an amp on how well it works as oppossed to how well it sounds, it makes me suspiscious.

I constantly read threads wherein people talk about their Hartke or GK heads in this fashion and sound quality is not mentioned. But for loud gigs or outdoor I wouldn't care too much, so long as it wan't harsh.

I would not get the 500 watter because you get a lot more bang for not much difference.

I just worry about what all that
    earthshaking power will do to my hair, as the jorg photo illustrates.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    A possibility just occurred to me. I dunno how close you are to Orlando, but Bass Central used to be the only store that carried Carvin stuff outside the factory stores in CA. If they still do that, and they have the B1500, and you can get to the Orlando area, you could try it out yourself.
  16. Yeah, I get over to Orlando a lot for work. But the courthouse is downtown and the Beav's place is near Fern Park, further away in a crumby part of town.

Maybe they have a carvin piece to A/B with the other SS heads. Would love to hear that schroeder cab lit up with its full RMS power.

They say when you go there, be prepared to spend some time.