1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin B1500 kicks major Butt!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nico3535, May 3, 2006.

1. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I've had my Carvin B1500, Avatar 2x12 neo rig for a little over a week now and all i can say is wow.Comparing it to my previous arrangement of gear its light years ahead of all of it. Ive owned a GK 1001rb, a late 80's swr sm400, nemesis 4x10 combo, genz and benz tubeworks 1x15 combo and frankly the best tone i ever had was with the Tubeworks combo, but man was that thing week. I a/b'd the b1500 with a friends wt800 and with a good compression pedal i was able to hit all the tones the wt800 did exept with much more headroom. I love the drive knob it gives me tube like warmth even at low volumes. I pretty much run it flat with the mids abit lower at about a 4. The 2x12 moves some air. Its a neo cab so it can hadle 600 watts and its 8ohms. In the next few months i plan on adding a 2x10 cab also at 8 ohms dropping it to a 4ohm load that will be taking in 1250 watts of pure goodness. Honestly i don't need all the power this thing has fo live gigs, but for practices and jam seccions i have to be able to fight off some stacks and with with this rig i have more than enough power to do so. $730 for the head shipped, 360 for the cab shipped cant beat it, i'm in love!

2. Glad you enjoy the B1500; I sure enjoy mine.

Several of us have been talking about this amp for a while now. It's not that I think it's the best amp for everybody--no amp is, really--but IMO it's a really good piece of gear and great value. I keep mentioning it in threads not because I think everybody ought to buy one--I don't--but because I think just about anybody thinking of buying a big SS amp under $1000 (or maybe even under $1500) would benefit from including this amp in the conversation as a matter of course. IMHO, it's good enough that it should now be one of the standard options you consider in a particular range (along with G-Ks, Ampegs, GBs, Kustoms, and so forth).

3. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I agree, its such a solid piece of gear and with a price tag like that no one can complain.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Of course now carvin doesn't have anythign for sale to make use of all that power.

It looks like they're putting their cash on the neo 410 and 210....I don't really know whether that's the best idea or not...that's not much of a selection.

I'd love to see them produce a 610 or 215....somethign I can leanback and roll and have a higher power rating....cause you just don't need THAT much headroom.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    oops.

ok...the 1200 watts on the 410 is pretty high...

I'd still like to see a 610 or 215 regardless ;)

6. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    yeah, i've been saving up for two of the 4x10's so i can run the whole 1900w out of the thing. I'm excited.

7. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    i was messing around yesterday and hooked up all 3 of my cabs to this beast! WOW ! This amp crushes any amp ive ever heard in volume and punch! I ran my avatar 2x12 neo and 2 hartkey(paper cones) 4x10's a total of 10 speakers, in other words ground shaking! I love this amp more and more every day

8. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: :bassist: I am also the proud owner of a carvin b1500 and a brand new neo 212 avatar cab been playing with it for about a week I love the drive knob gives you a nice edge my 8sting tuned to d sounds wicked!!!! This weekend it goes to rehersal to be added to to my rock rig avatar 410, the neo 212 and maybe for fun I will hook up my 215 eden..... oh my sinsiter laugh great combo

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Smash and I did a gear swap last week and I tried out his B1500. I never really cranked it very loud, but I could tell its great amp. If I end up being unhappy with my new eden wt405 (which is very unlikely) the carvin line is next on my list.

10. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    im looking for a nice cabinet for my new B1500, what do you guys suggest? relativley cheap I guess would be great. I was looking at the 4 ohm version of the Avatar B410 Neo because it says it can handle 1000 watts and at 4 ohms the carvin pushes 1250, what do you guys think?

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah i was about to buy this amp but the 1 year warranty really threw me off...

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Sounds like a great rig. I'd like to try one of those Carvin B1500 heads out someday. I think Carvin is back in the game again, with this head.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I suggest that you start a new thread with your question. If you do, I'm sure you will get more than a few responses.

14. grooVWy

grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    FIN
    got mine today. And couldnĀ“t agree more.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You'd rather it had no warranty?
    One year ain't bad, and these things are tanks.
    Anything wierd that's gonna happen will happen inside that year. Aside from that, it's all build quality, and parts quality, and the B1500 has both of those covered...

16. Anything that can handle being intentionally being slung out on an asphalt parking lot and still work has my vote. Besides, they routinely "over engineer" all of their electronic designs.

I was at the Carvin Santa Ana store two days ago, post a two-day flood from a broken pipe in the upstairs restroom. The whole Pro Audio room up there had gotten flooded with hundreds of gallons of water before the manager shut off the water Monday morning. One of the pieces of gear there was a B1500.. you guessed it :smug: .. Still functions!

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Oh gawd, I hope it wasn't the one I just bought:>0!

18. Nope. I asked while I was there what they were gonna do with all the gear from "upstairs", and the guys told me that "every bit of it" was gonna be sent back to the factory this week for "extensive testing".. NOT for sale at this time.

Besides, anything that was still in a box now has no box any longer. The boxes acted like big sponges (thank goodness)

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Whew. Thx;)

20. DistortedBass

DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    Welcome aboard! I'm pretty demanding on my amps and I love this thing to death. I can absolutely smash my way through 2 loud metal guitar rigs and maintain my clarity and fundamental tone.

It's a true powerhouse.