Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin B1500 or PLX1602/BBE Bmax????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Washishimi, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    After a lot of research and playing various setups this past week, I narrowed down my new rig to a QSC PLX1602 with a BBE Bmax preamp. I absolutely loved this setup. But........

I have always been a huge fan of Carvin power amps and have heard great things about their new B1500 bass amp. I have not tried this amp, but the price and reviews are making me think about it.

Now the weight difference between the two rigs won't be that drastic (6 or 7lbs?). But the Carvin would save me a lot of money. (damn money thing again)

Either setup would be completed with my new Dingwall Afterburner 4 :) and my soon to arrive Schroeder 410. I play various styles of music in my cover band (mostly top 40 stuff) and my originals project sounds like a cross between the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Van Halen (to give you some idea of what I am trying to acheive)

Anybody with experience with any of this equipment, I would love to hear your opinion! I have read through all of these posts and they have been extremely helpful. Now I want someone to give me that final pull one way or the other.

Thanks!!!!!!

2. I bought a B1500 ~ 5 months ago, using on outdoor gigs only and have to admit that I really like this amp a lot. Very decent tone shaping, logical eq. section, loud as hell if necessary, and a drastic improvement compared to the Red Line amps.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    +1. Agree entirely. Plus it appears to be very well built.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it means anything, I got a new PLX1602 and a new ss Bmax for $749 shipped, and the PLX came with a $25 mail-in rebate, so the price isn't that big a difference. The PLX1602 may have gone up $40-$50 where I got it from at this point though. The direct price of the B1500 is $699+$30 shipping on the Carvin site.