1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B1500 -vs- Aguilar DB750 , Glock HRiop[i

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 25, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I read some of the archived threads on the B1500. However, I am having a hard time finding some concrete comparisons between either of these heads (750 and/or Glock HR). I currently have a CA9/Demeter rig I was thinking about replacing with a used DB750. If I had to buy a 750 new, I might opt for a Glock HR (that is why I included the HR in the topic) since they are both around $2K new. However, I am mainly concerned with the comparison between the 750 and the 1500. Does anybody have any real world experience with the 750 AND the 1500. Thanks!

2. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    try PMing Dean aka Big String I think he owns both

3. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270901&highlight=Carvin+B1500+snob

If given the choice, I'd take the B1500 over the DB750 or Glock HeartRock in a quick second. WONDERFUL head... just as loud as the other two. Much tighter and more transparent than the DB750, and a bit quicker and punchier sounding than the HeartRock. And, literally about 1/3 the cost of either, and 10 pounds lighter:bassist:

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I think Smash does and maybe SVTB15.

5. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thanks for the reply........I trust and respect your opinion.........This was post was reassuring.

6. Just to be clear, they are all three fabulous amps. I greatly dislike the DB750's tone myself (fat, huge, pillowy, not much else to my ear), but it's a first rate piece of gear, and many love that tone. The Glock HeartRock is not longer sold in the US from what I understand, but it too is beyond first rate. It's very big and warm down low, and uber hi fi up top. I found I liked that tone at home more than on the gig, where that beautiful, crystal clear top end tended to disappear in the mixes I perform in.

The B1500 is just a freak of nature. Not quite as fat an warm as the other two down low, but plenty big, and the top end, while not at 'pretty' as the Glock, can be made to really cut through a mix. It really is an amazing $1,500 amp that happens to cost around $650!

7. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I think you proclaimed yourself as 'gear snob'?? I too am a self proclaimed gear snob:crying: I used to think that in order to get great 'tone' and 'power' one had to spend thousands on amplification.............After purchasing my LMII, I quickly realized that I was an idiot. You CAN get a great sounding-powerful amp for under $1K........heck, even almost under $500!!! The LMII changed the way I think about gear. I am hoping that the B1500 will be a home-run just like the LMII. FWIW, I will be using the B1500 with my Acme B4 (4ohm).

How do you think the 1500 will play with a 4ohm Acme B4?

8. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    My "mini B1500", the B800, will be arriving next week...

dr-evil.

9. I was actually poking a bit of fun at myself with that thread title for the reason that you state above. I went from a Walter Woods Ultra and a Glock HeartRock to an LMII and an F1 (although I like my expensive TecAmp stuff:D), and have never looked back.

The B1500 has the exact combination you need (IMO) for a 4ohm B4... BIG power, and a LOT of control over the low end. The Carvin (similar to the HeartRock, but even more so) has a low bass, hi bass and low mid control (that's not exactly what they call them, but that's the gist of it). So, you can change the ratio or the 'boom and punch' very easily and powerfully. It also has similar power with the upper mids, lower treble and upper treble EQ, which is nice if you want to dial a little more sizzle into the B4 voicing.

If I needed the big ooomph at this point, I would own a B1500.

The reliability seems very good on these also, although there have been a few 'dead right out of the box' posts. However, that's not a bad thing, since they just send you another one. I've had that happen with amps before. It's better to have a failure on day one than three weeks into use on a gig. Other than that, they seem quite solid.

The cool thing is you can try one for 10 days and send it back if you don't dig it.

10. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    As Kjung says, all three of those heads are treasures..
    I have not owned a 750 or glock but i have tried them. and i did own a B1500 for a while.
    That B1500 was the best bang for the buck that you can get . and it s a pro rig. I used it on large gigs outdoors into 2 ohms on hot stages in Texas heat. the amp never glitched.
    It is tight and fast sounding too. i wished it had a tube to get some little extra warmness.. but the b1500 is still a top amp..
    Tom Bowlus mag did a great review in the last issue too.
    I would but another B1500 in a heartbeat if i was going to go that route...

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I can speak very highly of the Glock HR, I own it and a Soul. Weight and cost aside top of the line stuff!

To me it's the sound, the DB750 is much more wooly and bass pumping. To my ear different sounds, different flavors.

I haven't been able to play a B1500 but based on everything I've read and the price I'd certainly give it a try. Before dropping 2k+ on the others.

I would warn that in general these amps need to be paired with the right cabinet. That wide open voice of a UL212 or other big bottom cabs tend to be to much of a good thing. A cab with a nice tight bottom end where the amp can dial it in works much better.

12. +1 on your cab comment with the Glock HR and especially with that DB750. However, the B1500 low end EQ control makes this much less of an issue IMO and IME. It sounds pretty darn good with everything.

13. robboy

robboy

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    +1
    The 1500 is so far one of the best heads that I have owned for real world gigging. It's loud, runs down to 2 ohms without overheating and looks, from the outside at least, like it's built very well. It fits into an SKB X rack and the preamp section has all of the tone adjustment that I need for electric and upright. If I had the money I'd buy another one for a spare before Carvin figures out how much the amp is really worth.

14. One thing to consider, Aguilar how now replaced the DB750 with the DB751. Very similar design, but with a more effective and versatile active EQ.

15. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    wow........only 3 hours to page 2..........anybody else want to chime in

16. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I figured as much........I was too. However, I think I can be gear snobby at times. Now I just want what sounds good and is the most cost effective - no matter what brand.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My reference for this might be skewed as my DB750 has a tube swap for some NOS RCA's. That said: Fat is a word I would definitely use to describe the DB750, but I find it to have a very well defined midrange. Albeit not much in the way of a sparkly top end, but that tends to get lost in the mixes I play in and a strong midrange is far more useful.

Not saying you're wrong at all, just that my take on the DB750 has been quite a bit different than what seems to be the common tonal opinion of the amp.

...Then again... I'm the guy that thought the Genz Benz GBE750 was grossly underpowered for its rating... Maybe my ears are broken. Or maybe, just maybe, mine are fine and the rest of TB is screwed up :p

18. I had that exact combination, and for my tastes, it killed. I only sold the B-4 because I was trying to downsize--haven't needed anything over a B-2 in years.

But I kept the B1500, even though it's nearly as heavy as the B-2. That might tell you something. I'm thinking about getting another Low B-2.

19. +1 With the right cab, the DB750 of course can sound great, and as you say, big and fat with some nice mid presence also. However, IMO, with the 'wrong' cab (like an Acme B4 IMO) it can sound, to me, quite unbalanced and too 'pillowy and wooly' to my ear.

I also totally agree with your take on the GB750:D, so we are probably hearing the same thing and describing it with slightly different words due to our personal tone goals.

Again, all three of these (and now the Mesa M6 IMO) are 'top of the line' for big wumpin' lead sled' tone in a hybrid head!

20. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I second Ken's opinion, the B1500 is an amazing amp. I've had SVT's, Mesa D180's.....I've had no desire to look for another head after I picked up my B800 & B1500. And I bought my B1500 for $375 used, in mint shape! Their price should be illegal.....or should the price of the boutique amps be illegal.... :smug: