Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin B1500 vs. Ampeg B-4R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Your opinion (especially if you have played one or both).

Ampeg B-4R has:
    • Tone-especially if it sounds similar to my B2R
    • Name-looks cool on stage
    • It is heavy
    • expensive-the price used is about the Carvin new

Carvin B1500 has:
    • Price
    • More power
    • tone that is supposed to be "like Ampeg"
    • lighter (only a bit, so it really doesn't matter)

What do you think?

2. Ampeg:

based on tone, reputation, resale, aesthetics, reliability, customer service, versatility, etc. In all categories, advantage goes to Ampeg...except price.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The B4r isn't THAT heavy. I can easily carry mine with one hand in it's rack. Another thing to consider is the difference in warranty. Ampeg 5 years, Carvin 1 year I believe. So the Carvin will set you back aprox $750 after all is said and done, shipping etc...If it breaks one year and one day later, you ship it to california at your expense for repairs good luck finding a local amp tech that will work on carvin. while the Ampeg will be about $950 at a dealer where you can walk in and play it before you buy. 5 year warranty so if it breaks 1 year later you take it to your Ampeg dealer who probably has a certified tech to repair it or will ship it to Ampeg for repairs on Their dime. btw I'm 2 1/2 years into my B4r's 5 year warranty without the slightest problem. Indoor and outdoor gigging every weekend.
    As far as carvin having a tone that is supposed to sound like Ampeg goes I can't say because I haven't heard that amp but I can say nobody has ever tried to sell me an Ampeg and said "This thing sounds just as good as a Carvin".........
    If you catch my drift. :D

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    "This thing sounds just as good as a Carvin".........

ROTFLMAO! :D

Lync

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    How about a pre/power setup? An SVP-CL or SVP-Pro and RMX1450 will set you back $900. You'd have an all tube preamp and more wattage and come in $50 cheaper than the B4R (even more if you find used gear).

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    "This thing sounds just as good as a Carvin".........

hahahaha..... That diss alone should be a major sign at what the general consensus is :p

The B4R should blow the Carvin's tone away. Sure... more power from the Carvin. But if you need more power, you can just upgrade to a pre-power setup later on down the line, and use your B4R as a preamp. I'm using a B2R as a preamp now, and its a much better tone than I ever thought that little head could produce. Also, I'm a fan of the 9-band EQ. But still... 1000 Watts is no pushover... depending on your speaker setup. The Carvin is Mono... so if you have 2 cabs, your limited to daisy chaining them. And who likes to be limited?

It's more expensive... but.... it's Ampeg. You shouldnt be disappointed with it, and the sound you get.

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Although the bust on Carvin had me laughing, it wouldn't necessarily deter me from it without checking it out.

Geeze, if I went by these bass boards always for gear selections, I would own an Ashdown Mag series.

I ordered one and couldn't believe how lifeless it sounded!

Ampeg carries a ton of weight with rep though, and I like the tone of my B2R to favor it.

Still, the Carvin may be worth trying-that's a ton of bass amp for the price (is it MIA).

The Pre/Power is an idea (I wouldn't want the Made in China heavy QSC RMX series though).

Lync

8. Go Ampeg, i had the B4-R for a while before my whole rig was stolen and i ran it bridged mono into a 1400 watt Avatar 4x10 cab. BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY. and buttah. it was super sweet with more options for hooking up extension cabs than one might ever need playing smaller to medium sized clubs. Carvin, well i'm kinda close to the So Cal showroom and never once have i been there and even halfway liked the sound i heard coming from those things. not like ampeg at all. not even close. the best way to describe the B4-R is to take your B2-R and add a couple of angry bulls, some balls and more booty that you can imagine. the warranty is much better too...

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I would agree. You'd fly a lot closer to the B2R sound, and have way better options.

And if you want more amp for your money... then you want a pre-power setup. The tone possibilities can be endless with a pre-power setup. If you still have your B2R... just get a power amp. Thats EXACTLY what I did, and my rig could probably go toe-to-toe with a B4R. With a Carvin... sure, you'll get more power.... but your sound will get kicked in the nads. It's not worth the money when you could have a better sound, better setup, and better warranty for less $$$.

Q: What kind of speaker setup will you likely be looking to use with whatever amp you get?

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    You already know I'm biased.
    So I'll just take this oportunity for a useless photo.

How 'bout that T-shirt? :hyper:
    P.S. Not my bass by the way. My rig though.

[​IMG]

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Interesting comments. I know I would dig the B4R-hell, I was very impressed with the "budget" B2R. Ya never know what might be a bang for the buck amp though.

Thanks-I'll have to see if GAS gets to me. I own our PA powered mixer and I bought a sub for the system, so I can go through the system also (my dual B100R rig should be fine, actually).

I just love the deep tone you get from POWER!

Lync

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    btw I'm not putting down Carvin. I did the 15 day trial with the R1000 head before I bought my B4r and thought the carvin sounded just fine. Just not an Ampeg. BTW I just got back from playing a large beer tent gig at the Illinois state fair tonight with my B4r 410/15 set up and was told to turn down by the management. we are talking huge PA system and they were worried about my stage volume. worried about having enough power? Not me. :bassist:

13. Tucked in!!! I'm sure the owner appreciated the buckle rash you gave his bass. :D

Nice rig anyway. How do you like those new cabs? shiny.

*Exception: If you had a Carvin bass, Carvin cabs, Carvin Compressor, AND a Carvin Power Conditioner...+ an SKB Case bought from Carvin, then you should definitely go with the B1500. I'm a believer in sticking with one manufacturer if they make all those things. (note my sig...but alas, QSC doesn't make a pre, Acme only makes cabs, and Tech 21 amps aren't my thing.)

14. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    So you're a believer in sticking with the same manufacturer across the line except when it applies to you?

:eyebrow:

HA HA-I can tell you are a musician!

Lync

15. If Acme made heads or pre/power, I'd snatch it up in a second. I HAD an entire Mesa/Boogie rig (400+, 4x10, 2x15), but when I discovered Acme, I had to go against my better judgement.

It's this friggin Talkbass that messes with your head.

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Don't I know. The internet has helped the music gear business immensely!

Lync

17. Hmmmm, just wondering how many folks who are trashing Carvin have actually tried the B1500? It's a new model and supposedly a significant improvement over their older bass amps. I've heard the same about the new cabs.

18. For the record (jot this down in the record, please) I have tried the B1500, because I live just up the road from the company. I liked it, it was solid with a decent tone and plenty of power. Very easy to use controls, and looks to be a winner for them. I played it through their 8x10 cabinet, not their newer cabs. Dude asked for an opinion between these particular Ampeg and Carvin heads, not a "Carvin Sucks, what do you all think?" opinion. I hope I'm not coming across as a Carvin basher.

19. Thanks for the review Mo'. BTW, I agree with the previous statements that if you like a particular brand, you are better off trying that first rather than getting into situation where you are gassing for an unknown sound. Running the B2R into a power amp makes sense to me (I've been doing that with my little SWR220 for over 10 years now).

OTOH, if I never had taken a chance on an unknown, I never would have tried Acme and found the cab I do 90% of my gigs with. :D

20. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i haven't heard the new carvin heads or cabs, but i have heard a couple of guys playing the older redline stuff. i think the heads sound very good but the cabs are just so so.(judging between the guys playing with just the heads and the ones playing with the head and cabs) one of my friends in a local band has a b4 and i've heard and played through it several times on a couple of dual gigs we used his rig on. funny thing though, when he played through it it sounded like him, and when i hooked up it sounded like me. i think (to a point) that your tone is in your fingers and technique. as long as you have good enough gear to get it across to your audience!!!!
    the ampeg sounds pretty good. the carvin sounds pretty good. personally i might try the new carvins. i'm verry curious about them.(personally i like a little cleaner tone than the traditional ampeg. although my all time favorite amp i've ever played through was a 69 svt. i recapped it and it was so clean and powerfull it almost ripped my cab apart)