Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CARVIN B1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaira, Aug 11, 2005.

1. chimaira

chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    i was looking for a new head and found the Carvin B1500.
    does anyone own this head? what do you think about it?
    is it good for metal? i play metal like soulfly,
    fear factory..., a custom 2x15"/2x12" box and a
    ESP LTD Viper 254 bass in A-D-G-C tuning.
    Thanks for your feedback!!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have one, and it's a very good amp. I have no idea about metal, though, since I don't play anything like that. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's loud, clean, and well built. However, it won't give you the overdriven tube sound that a cranked SVT can, if that's the sound you want.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have one & totally dig it. So much headroom. Clean/quality solid state sound. You can dial in alittle grind w/the drive knob but full distortion would be better acheived w/HK tube Factor or any good tube box. You can walk up to this amp & get your sound pretty quickly, no scoop switches, just 6 bands of thoughtful EQ. I can't wait to get more cabs to hook up to this thing. You can easily out volume any guitarist. Bass Player did a review of this head w/410 cab 2 or three mos ago & was pretty much all thumbs up. I have the BRX12 cab(30hz). If you're tuning full step down then these cabs are for you. One slight issue w/the cabs is that the handles are mounted to low. I turned my handles upsidedown (screws line up perfectly) & this helps balance the cab.

4. Do you guys think the wattage numbers are accurate, or at least not too grossly overrated?

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm pretty skeptical of being able to estimate wattage by ear. But I will say it sounds like a lot of horsepower to me.

6. I use the smaller B500 for outside gigs, running two 4 ohm cabinets and it provides plenty of power/volume. In my opinion, this is one of the best kept secrets around. Inexpensive, logical EQ, built like a tank, and provides clean, clear sound. It's based on Carvin's DCM power amps that are essentially bulletproof. These amps are not even remotely similar to the R1000/R600 series amps. I had the R1000, used it on two gigs and returned it. Too many gizmos to dial in a clean sound. The B series amps are very nice, powerful, and affordable.

7. AMEN!!!!! I coupled my B1500 to an Epifani T410-UL (4 ohm version) and this must be the fattest sounding rig I have ever experienced. Other bassplayers are floored when they hear it. It seems that the powerrating of 1250 watts into 4 ohm is fair enough to my ears; I rarely set the volume knob passed 3. Otherwise people are going to get hurt and I do not want to be held responsible fot that :meh: I really think the B1500 is THE best kept amp secret.

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I've done all my gigs on 3 as well. When I first got it I turned it up to 5 (12:00) @ the church I play @ to test it out & it was extremely loud. I don't know how much volume is on the other side of 5 because I would need isolation headphones to be any where near the rig. I believe that if this amp was in music stores, that alot more people would own one. But most peolple won't buy an amp w/out touching it & hearing it. No P.A is no problem anymore.

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Is anyone happily running this puppy into a 2ohm load? no dramas??? (apart from bowel loosening volume)?

also can someone please have a look at the back of one and tell me if it can be switched between 110VAC and 230VAC (or is it a switch mode powersupply?) or does it come factory setup for either voltage?

thanks!

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    bump... do these things sound any good? massive grunt!!!

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Read the posts above.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I believe you have to order it one way or the other. Mine doesn't appear to have a way of switching. If you want to know more, you should contact Carvin.

13. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I highly prefer the my B1500 to my QSCPLX1602/BBE BMAX rig. Just seems to have more balls.

As far as running @ 2ohms, I have never gigged it this way. had a loud practice running at 2 ohms for about 6 hours (more down time than a gig obviously) and it seemed fine. But I can't speak for its 2ohm consistancy at this point.