1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Carvin B4 4-string Passive Bass guitar MINT!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by keyboardguy, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    You are bidding on a beautiful Carvin B4 bolt-on 4 string Passive Bass guitar.
    It is in MINT CONDITION; no visible marks, scratches or fretwear. Has maybe 10 hours of playing time on it.

TB_Bass01.

TB_bass02.

TB_bass03.

The body is a beautifully figured piece of Swamp Ash, stained turquoise.
    Eastern HardRock Maple neck, Black Ebony fretboard.
    Chrome hardware. Hipshot bridge. 34” scale.
    I built this kit. The back of the neck is finished with about 7-9 coats of Minwax Tung Oil, the same as used by Carvin. The neck is smooth as a baby’s you-know-what.

I applied about 12 coats Tung Oil on the Swamp body, which looks fantastic and is very durable.
    The neck is flawless. The body is not perfectly smooth, as I wanted to have multiple thick coats of the tung oil on it. Not perfect, but looks pretty good in my opinion. I have tried to show this in the pictures.

I added two Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz pickups ($180.00) with volume/volume/tone.

So how does it sound?

With the Ebony/maple neck and Swamp Ash body, I’d call this “snappy” and “punchy” as opposed to mellow.
    The Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz pickups sound great with a lot of punch like a Fender Jazz. Seymour says they are wound like the pickups he made for Jaco. So you can get that ‘Jaco Sound’ with them.
    I installed Fender 9050ML Stainless Flatwound Bass Strings so you can dial in serious thump kind of like a Fender Precision P-Bass.

If you go to Carvin.com and price this to have them put it together for you, it would cost you about $700.00.

If you bought the kit and put in together the kit alone would cost you $480.00, add $180.00 for the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz pickups, and we’re talking a total of $660.00 !!, not including your time for labor.

PRICE $450 with free shipping in the Lower 48 ONLY

Payment Paypal or Moneyorder ONLY.

If you'd like more photos, let me know.

2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Dang if ONLY it had abalone block inlays it'd be mine!!

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Carvin Bolt is an excellent bass. Wonderful neck, perfect fretwork, very light and a great J sound. This is an excellent price considering the pickup upgrade.

4. Yep! my kit cost 550.00 un-assembled and un-finished and let me tell you the parts are perfectly crafted!!!!

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just wondering, do you still have the J99 pickups that came with the kit?

6. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005

Yes I think I do.

Are you interested in buying the bass with the J99's instead?

7. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    PM'd.

8. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for the offer Getty, but I need the $$$ instead of a trade.

Thanks

Mike

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Geddy

[​IMG]

Getty

Estelle-Getty-profile.

10. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for clearing that up :D

11. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Haha, just noticed that. Word.

12. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    that's hilarious!

here's a bump for a pretty carvin

13. PM-ed

14. Case or gigbag?

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Free bump as I put in a good word for this bass. I bought the same Carvin kit a few years ago and finished it myself as keyboardguy did, although I used EMG's instead of Seymour Duncan's.

Even though the bass belongs to my daughter, I steal it from her all the time, especially to play gigs and I really do like it a lot. It's definitely worth more than the $600 plus my time that I've got into it. The neck on the bass is particularly good and it's easy to set some very low action on it without buzzing. The string-through-body design is nice and the Hipshot bridge is really good quality, too.

$450 with free shipping is a great deal on this.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If I could fund this, I'd buy it. How can you pass on a bass that is less than a third of the price of a new Fender Jazz (after the recent price hikes) with better hardware and great pickups? Carvin necks are sweet. Someone buy this!

17. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  18. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    What he said.

19. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    It makes me sad to see a bass this beautiful going for so long without being bought. I love the color over the ash - stunning.

What I've noticed, though, is that if it isn't one of those "TB flavor of the week" kind of basses, it just doesn't move :meh:

Here's a free "one of my favorite colors" bump!

20. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    if i had the money i would buy this in a heartbeat. this post has so many views it should be made a sticky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.