Carvin B40 Pickup Noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chaz42, Sep 4, 2010.

1. chaz42

chaz42

Feb 1, 2008
    I have the J99A pickups in my Carvin B40 bass kit. Passive controls. When I have both pickups volume and tone turned up all the way, they don't make any unwanted noise. As soon as I roll back either volume knob, I get a static/hissing noise from the amp. Wondering what it might be? A shielding issue?

I checked continuity and it all seemed fine. Even rechecked the ground wire under the bridge.

I did notice if I have the tone knob turned up, the static noise is louder, but when the tone knob is turned down all the way, it is barely audible.

Is it possible there is a bad solder joint in the wiring harness?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

60 cycle hum?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's normal with single coil pickups such as the ones in J type basses. You can't completely eliminate it with shielding or grounding. Try any passive Fender Jazz bass and it'll be there too.

I also owned (and I'm currently building another) Carvin B4 with the J 99s. Mine did the same. How bad it was depended on how much stray electromagnetic noise was being radiated in the room. Also the physical orientation of the instrument. In some noisy rooms I had to sit facing one certain direction where the noise was the least.

One fix is to replace the single coil J99s with humbucking pickups such as the ones Carvin now uses in the stock B4 unless you order the J99s. But they will sound different. You may or may not like the sound. Some sound very close. There are dozens of humbucking pickups on the market that will fit the Carvin pickup route.

You must be very new to playing bass to not have known this. This isn't a put down-just an observation. It was one of the first cold, hard facts I had to deal with if I wanted to play a jazz bass.

I particularly really like the Carvin J99s. But on the new Bolt I'm putting together I'm replacing the pickups with noise free ones ordered directly from Bill Lawrence (the Wilde brand, not the Bill Lawrence USA ones) Lawrence makes some great sounding J and P type pickups as well as a long line of guitar pickups. Great prices too from Wilde.

4. chaz42

chaz42

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks. This is my first passive bass I have owned. My previous basses have been all active. I had an Ibanez SR400 and a Yamaha RBX760A.

I really like the jazz sound, and wanted passive electronics (so I didn't have to worry about a battery).

Thanks for the info!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021