1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B40 vs Fender Jazz Bass...Sound Comparison.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Someone offers you the choice between a free Carvin B40 passive bass, or a USA Fender Jazz Bass also passive. The one stipulation is that you can never sell or trade the bass you choose. Both are high quality instruments. Which one do you go with and why?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The one I like the most because if I buy it solely based on what other people think then I run the risk of disappointment.

3. jazz41

jazz41

Nov 4, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    Carvin B40

I own one, well, the kit version at least, and absolutely love it. Love the neck, love the pickups. Love the body weight and size. Love the extra two frets. I find it is the more versatile bass.

I also own a Jazz, Mexican made, but still a Jazz. I like it too, but I didn't know what I was missing until I got my Carvin. I wouldn't turn away either one though.

4. I've owned Carvins and US Fenders and I would go with the Carvin without hesitation or second thought.

Those who haven't owned either will likely go with the Fender because it says 'Fender'.

I'd consider myself lucky if those were my 2 choices, as it would pretty much be a 'win' either way.

But I can't play 4 stringers anyway....:D

5. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    What is the difference in sound between a passive B40 and a Jazz? I know this is subjective, but can the Carvin compete with the patented Jazz Bass growl? Could one pass for the other if the listener didn't see which one was being played?

6. I would go with the Carvin, especially if I got to pick my own options. Carvin has more color, neck, wood, etc. options compared to Fender.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've never played a B40, but I've owned an SB5000 for over a year now.

And I've owned a number of Fender Js over the years, most recently a MIM J deluxe built in (IIRC) the early 2000s.

If the fretwork on the B40 is to the same standard as my SB5000, I'd go with the Carvin.

8. jazz41

jazz41

Nov 4, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    My B40 has a walnut body, so it has bit tighter, more focused sound compared to my alder Jazz, so take my sound review with that in mind.

I can tell a difference, my Jazz is snarly, like it's supposed to be, but my B40 can get just as snarly. I think my Jazz can get lower, but the B40 is more defined. I think the biggest difference is that my Jazz handles the low to low mids and my B40 handles low mids to everything above that.

My favorite aspect is the B40 is probably the neck. The neck is so very nice, almost Geddy Lee Jazz like.