1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Apr 23, 2010.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Have a chance at an early 2000's B5. Price is a little over 3 bills. Is this a good bass to dive into the 5 string thing? I've played 4 stringers forever and have been looking at am stnd. Jazz V's and the SB 5000. After thinking about it I may be better off going the less expensive route at this time. Those in the know regarding the B5 chime in with your opinions please. This particular bass is black w/ebony board.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    From everything I've gathered, it's as good a starter five-string as any other, and probably better than a lot of generic stuff you could get at Guitar Center for that price.

What specifically are you trying to determine? What are your criteria for defining a "good" bass? :confused:

MM

3. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Good question MM. I play in a Worship setting these days and still do some recording projects. I'm primarily a P-Bass guy and a melodic lock in the pocket player. Don't slap or pop. 80% finger style 20% pick depending on the need. String spacing is not an issue as I have adjusted well to that over the years. I prefer passive tones over active but find the advantages of active circuits in some situations. I'm looking for a quality "feel". Tone that I can coax. A tight B in a 34". Not too noisey single coil hum. There...that's about it;)

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think the B5 would be a good choice for you. They've got those big Carvin Music-Man style pickups with the exposed pole pieces, which get a pretty thick, beefy, powerful tone. Since you're a P bass guy, you might like - although these will sound more modern.

Since these pickups are humbuckers, single-coil noise doesn't even enter into the equation. And the B5 is active/passive - so you have your choice of mode.

If the instrument is in good shape, I don't think you could go wrong. Even if you don't like it, you could always flip it for the price you paid for it... :meh:

MM

5. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    For $300 I'd be all over it...assuming there's nothing "totally broken or non-functioning" on it.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I would've already bought it. I already have a nice5 string Schecter J / MM bass... but I'd probably get it anyways! My B4 switches on and off with my HW1 P for main-bass material. Why not a B5?

7. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Thanks guys. For the record this 2003 B5 has the big bridge 'bucker' and the single coil "sized" neck pup. Passive pull-up volume pot and (I think) a coil split for the bridge pup.