1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin B50 ordered

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by songwriter21, Mar 24, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind.

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Since I will have the J99 pickups, what noise/hum reducer do you all recommend? I have Bart's in my Ibanez (the real American ones), and even they get noisy with some venues (neon lights, stage lights, etc.),and I've heard people say the 99's are quiet, while others say they're noisy....

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Hi. You posted in the effects forum. Although you are looking for a noise suppressor gadget, you might get a better response in basses. Also, I suggest trying the bass first. J99's aren't all that noisy.

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind.

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yeah, wasn't sure about which forum. Also, yes, I'll do a real-world test out at a bunch of gigs to see how the bass fares...should be delivered right in time for fair/festival season!

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Are you building the B50? IF there is a problem, be sure to shield the cavity. Done right, shielding effectively eliminates single coil hum.

If there is still noise, and you don't want to tear the cavity apart, the ISP Decimator is a solid noise gate.

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I'm a B40 with J99As guy and while they are pretty quiet, I have played at places that just make them noises. I've tried the Decimator, Smart Gate and NS-2 and they all work fine. You could also try some hum-eliminating devices (HumX, Ebtech) that most online music stores have.