1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin B500 v Eden WT-330 or 405

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, May 8, 2006.

1. watcha think? pros cons? and also use for DB? i could either get a brand new carvin or a used eden.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The WT-405 seemed to distort for me no matter what i did. not that its horrible, it was undesirable for me.

WT-330 i have been able to run flat with a tad of enhance and get a wonderful tone.

never played through a B500, although im intrigued.

3. Personally, though I've owned and still like Edens, I prefer the Carvin B amps these days. I think you get a truer, flatter sound with the Carvins, believe it or not. Weight may be an issue for you. Or not.

You might consider the B800, which has more power than the B500 and, I think, is actually cheaper at the moment.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    it was brand new at the store. i was head shopping when mine was down and the salesman offered it to me for about 25% off list. It seemed that it sounded to thin if i didn't use the dynamics enhancements, and if i did, it started to fart.

The cabinet used for the test was a D410XLT 8 Ohm. no matter what i did, i was less than impressed.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Definately something was faulty...sometimes a tube can go bad in shipping...or some component is faulty.
    New, it needs to be fixed by the factory.
    They are clean and warm sounding amps unless you add distortion...

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The WT405 doesn't have a tube....

8. thanks *bump* o and by the way there are some rediculously low prices on B500's now that they are discontinued, if you know where they are

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Word. I've been ignoring that...
    Smash had a guy play his B1500 with DB and said it sounded good...
    I use the eden wt800B with my DB, but have not tried either of the models you're looking at.

10. well edens generally have close to the same sound throughout the line(not exactly i know... dont falme me) and all of the carvins have the same preamp so if one sounds good they all sound good(the b series that is)

11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    OOOh yeah!! I was having a seniors moment:meh:
    Well neverthrless I played through a wt405 at a store and it sounded wonderful.....still needs fixing:confused:

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I own an eden wt405 and i recently borrowed smash's b1500. After comparing the two I give the edge to the eden as its slightly warmer, lighter and has a few more features. the carvin has great tone though and built very, very well. the carvin is a close second to my ears. Could easily be happy with it, especially since its much cheaper.

If your'e a little light on cash, go for the Carvin. You wont be disappointed.

13. cool thanks. well see when the time comes around i gotta get a new URB before college, so thats gonna be a nice chunk of change(eternally be damned poor first choice URB)

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  15. im too poor... i ckecked em out, but upton is local, so things are looking up:):) i have one other place to visit and then its time to drop the bomb.. on my wallet that is