1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin B800 Cut out problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless bass, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I recently picked up one of those carvin b800 heads but i have it hooked up to a 4x10 & 1x15 and it cuts out on me and powers off when im playing and its not even up high. master on 2 bass middle treble not even at 11 0'clock just using a passive p bass. it then comes back on after bout 5 mins. is this normal or is there something im doing very wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    No that's not normal. Mine has always worked fine even with a 2 ohm load.

3. Not normal to "cut out" on you.

If it drops out and comes back after 5 minutes, it sounds like a thermal shutdown issue.

4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    What ohms are your speakers?

See below:

SPEAKER COMBINATIONS and OHMS ( W ):
    Four x 8W cabinets = 2W (OK)
    Three x 8W = 2.66W (OK)
    Two x 8W = 4W (OK)
    Two x 4W = 2W (OK)
    One 8W and One 4W cabinet = 2.66W (OK)
    Two 8W and One 4W = 2W (OK)
    One 2.66W and One 8W = 2W (OK)
    Two x 2W = 1W (not recommended)
    Three x 4W = 1.33W (not recommended)
    Two x 4W and One 8W = 1.6W (not recommended)
    One 2.66W and One 4W = 1.6W (not recommended)
    The B800 is a very powerful amplifier. As with any amplifier,
    make sure your speakers are suitable for the available
    wattage. Driving speakers with too much wattage will
    cause them to distort and eventually fail. If distorted sound
    is coming from the speakers, reduce the volume until the
    distortion stops.

Mike

5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Probably the power cord. I have a B800, and it came with a faulty cord. Just call Carvin, they'll send you a new one no problem.

6. If it powers off completely, it's probably a power cord. If the power stays on, but no sound comes out, it's probably thermal shutdown. My B1500 would stay on in thermal shutdown mode while the fan tried to cool it.

7. Many thanks guys for all your help...Im hoping its just the power cord which i think it is. the blue power light just fades slowly and then goes off until i leave it off for a few minutes and tweak the cord it comes back on fine.

8. Sounds like the connection of the power cord is the culprit. If you have any others around, try swapping it out.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021