Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bass Amps, How's the Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aristotle, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I was fiddling around on their website and noticed a thousand watt amp into their 8x10 cabinet that all looked pretty spiffy for just over a thousand dollars. Is the tone good? If so I don't see how I could resist making this my next GAS target.

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I once borrowed a friends R600 and it just didn't do it for me. I ran it through an Ampeg 810 and then I played through his Carvin 210 and 15 setup, and with both setus it left just a little to be desired. I don't really know how to explain what it lacked, I guess it just wasn't fat enough for my taste. Even after playing with the EQ, the best tone I could get was the graphic off, the noise gate off, compressor all the way down, with the bass at around 1 o'clock the mids around 11 (I can't remember which frequency) and the treble around 2 o'clock. And even the best tone didn't sound that good to me. This is all just my opinion, and I really like an old school fat tone, so that is probably why I disliked the tone so much.

Dirk

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Until recently I used a 600w carvin combo (similar to RL6815)(15 and 2x8) I'm not crazy about the tone. Its LOUD, but boring tone, not real bad, but not great. It got guts thats all I can credit them for. OUr church also uses a carvin pa systems 2000w with four TR1503's. Again they are o.k. not wow.

[​IMG]

If you just want alot of speakers $700 is not too stiiff I guess for a 8x10. I think any other 8x10 would sound better. try ebay one is about to sell for $450 1yr old.

Carvin says: "The only way to appreciate the performance of a Carvin product is to use it in your own environment, giving it the test of "real world" performance. Take 10 days to try out Carvin products. Your trial period starts when the merchandise is received by you, not when it's shipped. Really give it a workout. If you're not satisfied for any reason, send it back for a prompt refund or exchange - you would only be responsible for the shipping."

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, I believe you've got it.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I do have to add that when I ran my tech21 RBI through the carvin loop it made the combo much more tolerable for me. more juicy/sweet tone.

RBI dont leave home without it!

6. I agree with the others. I used a Carvin rig (210+15, R600 series III) for a gig, and I felt the tone was thin. I like a warm, creamy tone, the Carvin rig was dry. I've used their series II head and I think that had better tone. I think when Carvin switched to the tube emulator they lost the warmness.

Mcrelly has a good idea, adding a sansamp should beef up the tone.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like the heads, but not the speakers that much. The built-in speakers in the Cyclops, in particular, don't IMO do the head justice. Side by side into an Acme, which is a pretty revealing cab, an R600 had tighter, more solid bass than my Eden WT400, though less of the stringy zing Eden can give you in the high end. Try one through a good cab, see what you think; send it back if you don't like it. Glockenklang it's not, but IMHO it's a good head.

Actually, the SansAmp RBI into a Carvin power amp (rather than the head) might be a good option too.

For cabs, you could look into Avatar. I think Genz Benz cabs may be underrated; I've had good experiences renting them. They make a bass amp too, but I dunno how it is; probably at least good and maybe better.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The GBE 400 & 600 heads are even more under-rated that the cabs. And, that M-Line 200 is not bad either but it might not meet your power requirements.