Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willyp2004, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Does anyone use a Carvin bass amp? I have been recommended to buy a Carvin 160-watt. And i was just wwanting to know how good they are or bad. Any and all feed back is welcome.And if you know a place that sells Carvin equipment besides the warehouse I would also like it.

Thanx,
    WillyP

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you do a search you will find tons of threads on Carvin amps. The general consensus seems to be the heads are good, but the speakers leave a bit to be desired.

I bought a Carvin RC210 combo a couple years ago. I've since switched to a rack/speaker setup but still use the power section of the R600 head. I will be getting a QSC power amp soon and probably selling the Carvin. It's served me well for the last couple years, but I've just outgrown it.

As far as I know, the only place that is a Carvin dealer besides the Carvin stores in southern california is bass central in florida.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i have the r600 head, and i'm, very happy with it. I play it through an avatar b210, and it sounds great.

I got mine off of ebay, i saved about $175, although it is slightly used. There is a bunch of carvin stuff on ebay.

4. I need info on their bass combos. The 160-watt w/ a 15 inch in it.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I believe Bass Player Magazine did a review of that combo in its "combo amp shootout" issue. You might want to see if you can locate that issue.

If I remember correctly, they said it was heavy, a bit strained for power at the quoted rating, and took quite a bit of adjusting to dial in a good tone. My memory might be lacking, though, so check it out for yourself.

6. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I have a Carvin PB100-15. Not the 160w, but the 100. It sounds great at low "keep my neighboors happy" volumes, but the second I turn it up it sounds muddy and mediocre. I have a feeling this is due to the less than stellar 15" speaker. They rate the 15" at 300watts, so I've tried a 200w head in conjunction with the 15" from the combo, and I got the same muddy results. I'm actually selling it now, because it can't hang with my louder-than-hell drummer. Got an AVATAR 410 on the way, w00t!

7. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i used to own a pb500 head. worked fine. one problem with it in 7 years, something inside was noisy. $15 fix. sound was very sterile. other than that, it worked great.

i got rid of it to get a microstack system, which i love.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    their speakers leave something to be disered. low end efficiency actually.

i have an RC210 combo, and i took the head out and use that to power a GB 610 cab. Their amps are great, I'll probably add an outboard poweramp and keep the R600 to use as a pre and power a bass monitor.

the speakers are quick to fart out at higher volumes. low volumes they sound great.

9. BillyBoy

BillyBoy

Nov 14, 2002
    Rota, Spain
    I play thru a RL6815 and I love it. I has nice, thick tone. The head supplies enough power in my opinion (600watts). ebay can definitely hook you up, I didn't get mine there, but I have got a lot of stuff thru them and recommend it. Just beware of the seller. Read the details of the sale and if it sounds too good to be true, it might be. :bassist:

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you don't need a lot of volume, I would imagine they are pretty good, depending on the player. Bob Babbitt is using the PB-200 in the documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" while Jamerson's Ampeg just sets near it, unused.

I still have a Carvin stack I use as a back up (4x10 + 1-18").....it's been nothing but totally reliable for several years although it can't handle lower frequencies at higher volumes very well.

BillyBoy - I recently sold my RL6815. FWIW - Carvin's Dr. Sound told me in an email that because of the speakers used in that combo, you're only running the R600 head at 175W.....that's all that cab can handle, according to the Doc.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Since you were asking about carvin combo amps, let me say that I have a Pro Bass 300c with a 15" that I've used for about 10 years for solitary practice and band practice. It has been a very reliable amp for me with lots of nice features. Only recently have I been getting a little intermittent static in it (not loud) but otherwise it has been a very quiet, nice sounding, extremely durable amp. If I was looking to get another combo I would consider getting another carvin--good for the price. That being said, I've never used any other combo, except a crappy fender that fried during band practice years ago, so I don't have much to compare it to. You might want to look at Ampeg and SWR as well.