Carvin Bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Hi everyone.Does anybody know anything about Carvin basses.Particularly the LB 70a ,LB 70 or the LB70EP? Also how do they compare to Fender MIA Deluxe's and G&L L-2000's? Thanks Joe
  2. DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I own a Carvin LB70P fretless - bought in 2003 - with J99 and HB2 pups plus piezo. Very good quality amd tone. You can get quite a variety. I have a 74 Jazz bass and the Carvin can get a similar tone - though not quite as thumpy. I bought the Carvin based on reviews and opinions online, and I'm very satisfied. My next bass may be one of their B4 kits.
  3. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    I would go to carvin's site and ask around on their forums. The reviews will obviously be biased, but at least you can ask about certain details that only carvin bass owners will know.
  4. Great build quality, nice woods, nice playabilty. Unfortunately, I haven't tried the LB70 but I am gassing for one. I own a 5 string kit bass and I've played a BB75.

Check out the Carvin museum site for lots of photos and commentary. The webmaster just got a Bunny Brunel Elite 4 string and loves it.
  5. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    carvins are wonderful basses. Not only can you make one to your own personal standards, likes and dislikes, but the standard options are quite favorable, that ebony fretboard just sings. The onlything i'd say is that they are significantly different from fenders, you can mimic some noises of a jazz w/ carvin jazz, but its not going to sound like a fender jazz. You cant build a fender to your standards. The G&L's are also really really good, not as customizable but fantastic sounding guitars at a good pricerange.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Do a search too. There have been a lot of threads on this. I mean a lot.
  7. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I can't say enough about them. I have 11 (and counting), including LB70s, an XB75, a couple of sixers, an AC and quite a few more. Been playing them for 22 years, and have been totally satisfied with every one.

Come by the Carvin Museum Forums - - the opinions there are a little less biased than on the Carvin BBS.

And you can see all of mine right here.
  8. I can honestly say that the BB70 was one of the more comfortable bass guitars I've ever owned. It played very well and was very utilitarian.

I found that it was a nice bass but the tone did not suit me very well. Maybe with a different pre, pickups, and no piezo bridge I would have been happier.

I've also owned a BB75, which I found the neck to be too wide, an LB75, which again, I just did not dig the stock electronics, and currently own an LB70PF, which is being epoxy treated by Harris Thor. As a fretless, it is very nice. The tung-oiled koa neck with the walnut stripes is fantastic to play on and the walnut body gives off a good weight. It should be done any week now so I'll follow up when it's back in my hands.
  9. Thanks guys your opinions were very helpful.Great site TK65,man you have some real beauty's there.And marcusalan I look forward to your update.Thanks again Joe
  10. Well, WAY TO GO GUYS!!!!! Now I am GASSING big time for a Carvin bass.....I had my GAS under control, just got an Avatar 210 cab to sit a-top my 115 and I really wasn't gassing for anything. BUT NOOOOOO, y'all have to go and spoil it!!!!!! I am really drooling for an LB-70 now. I guess I need professional help. :D :help:
  11. jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    I own a Carvin LB70F. I may never buy another bass. tone, sustain, action, I'm gonna go play...
  12. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I can honestly say I've never found a bass I like as well as my Carvin LB70.

13. i got a LB75 and a Lb76F, awsome basses, go buy one ;-)
  14. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Any excuse to show it off some more!

Mmm, it's sweet. Really. Best bass I've ever played.
  15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just recently finished my B4 fretless kit, it came out pretty nice for under $600 including DiMarzio Model J's and finishing material.

I haven't soldered the electronics yet, but this thing is HIGHLY resonant and full of mwah acoustic, so hopefully it'll knock me flat when I plug it in!

Words of wisdom - don't attempt to use stains or etc unless you are willing to invest a lot of time and have prior experience! I'm fairly happy how it looks, but it was a huge hassle to get it where it is now - and it ain't no F bass Ceruse either!

If you're looking for a J bass tone, I would suggest getting a passive B4 instead of the neck thru models. Their bolt ons tend to be punchier and more Fenderish IME. Also, skip their preamp, I don't think it enhances the tone at all.

Please excuse the mediocre pics.

Attached Files:

16. I didn't catch the truss cover before... Wow!!!

That grew on me fast :crying:
  17. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Yeah, the TRC is a classy item. I've made some of my own for my other basses, out of Birdseye, flamed koa, Claro walnut, mahogany & ebony, but I could *never* make on that matched the finish like that one. Luckily, that's a new feature on the Elite model.