Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dose anyone know much about these like the redline and mono block

2. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I had an R600 for three years. I could never understand why I could not hear myself clearly against the guitar and drums. I purchases a used GK 800 RB from another bass player to have as a backup to the R600. For giggle one night, I used the GK instead of the Carvin. The GK had better dynamics and a clearer, punchier output. The Carvin was put up for sale that night. Looking back on the quality of the sound from the amp and Carvin cabs, I doubt I will ever by Carvin again.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have a Carvin B1500, one of the newer ones. For my tastes, it's a considerably better head than any G-K I've tried (400, 800, 1000). Lots of power, sounds good, built well.

And do a search; these kinds of topics come up a lot.

4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you like Ampegs better than GK then your point is probably valid. Carvin will tell you that the B series is nothing like a Redline and everthing like an Ampeg. I'm not just expressing opinion on the Ampeg thing. This is what Carvin says they sound like.

I agree with doing a search on this topic. You will find many people with bad things to say about Carvin equipment.

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    No, it wasn't.

6. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You are right rockindoc. How would any of us managae to carry on with out your insightful posts? Do you have anything to add about the actual topic of the post or is this just due diligence as part of an audit?

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    chuckle. Yes I agree about the Carvin redline series. Redline amps are IMHO far less desirable than the newer series amplifiers which sound pretty decent making Carvin a much better value now.

I recall taking my SWR SM400S into Carvin a few years back and trying a Cyclops cabinet, bypassing the Redline 600 amp that was installed in the combo.
    Even the sales guy comes over to me and likes the tone better, then makes some comment about Carvin amps not sounding too good. (sales persons name being witheld out of consideration of his job)

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My point is valid regardless of what I prefer, because it was the expression of my considered opinion, based on a lot of actual experience playing all the amps I mentioned.

I know what Carvin says about the B1500. They don't in fact say it's "everything like an Ampeg." True, some of the moderators have expressed an opinion that it's Ampeg-like. However, that doesn't agree with my experience. I don't really care what anybody says about an amp if it doesn't agree with what I'm hearing from it. If you look at the actual description on the site and in the catalogue, they refer to a "boutique flat response." (Not something Ampeg would usually be accused of.;) ) Applying the usual discount for marketing hype, which all companies indulge in, this is IMO and IME pretty accurate. You do get a flat clear sound with this head, at least through reasonably uncolored speakers. Noticeably flatter and clearer than any G-K I've played, though I haven't played the very newest ones. You can also get something moving closer to an Ampeg sound by judicious use of the EQ and the Drive control.

Have you actually played the B1500? If not, why even offer an opinion about it?

9. it seems like gks are favored here and i like them. so how much is a gk 800

10. Check on the "bay". The 800 has been around a long time and there are lots and lots of them out there. It's not hard to find a good deal on a used one usually.

11. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I did not use quotes around the Ampeg statement, so why did you?

I offered an opinion about a Redline head. You then stated that your B series sounded better to you that a GK. Then I stated that Carvin says that the B series sounds like an Ampeg. Then you quoted part of the Carvin literature to refute my statement that I restated from an actual Carvin employee and owner of a B series amp. Maybe he lied to me. Maybe Carvin lies on their forums when they reference the similarities in tone between the B series and Ampegs.

HAVE YOU EVEN PLAYED A REDLINE?

I have never played a B series. Based on experience with Carvin amps (Redline series, Richard, Redline), Cabs (Redline again) and basses, I never will. I have eventually been disappointed with all of their products.

12. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have been seeing them on eBay for less than $400. They have reputation for being quite durable so the units that have some miles on them should not be avoided categorically.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I put quotes around that remark because I'm quoting *you*. That's one of the things quotation marks are for. Nothing mysterious or odd about it. That's just how it works.

Regardless of any impression I may inadvertently have given you, I don't really care in the slightest what kind of gear anybody likes. You had a Redline, you played it, you didn't like it, cool. Nothing to argue with on my part, nothing that needs justification on yours.

But in fact, you didn't *just* offer an opinion about a Redline head. You also commented on the B series on the basis of what you thought you knew about them from what you thought Carvin said about them, none of which was based on any actual experience. That's my only beef. I just think that if we're gonna give advice, it should be based on some kind of actual experience. Otherwise, it's kinda useless, no?

Yes, I have indeed played, and also owned, a Redline. I owned it before I had my Eden, which was before I had my EA and my B1500. As a rule, I avoid making judgments about the sound of gear I haven't played.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dude, relax. You have no experience at all with the B series, yet you were expressing judgments on them. That's no crime; I'm just saying why bother? What's the point? How does that help the original poster?

And you should be able to see it's not about lying. It's about opinions based on something, and opinions based on nothing. If somebody on the Carvin BBS who owns a B thinks it sounds like an Ampeg, well, that's based on something. If I, who own it, think it doesn't, that's based on something too. You've never played or heard one; you do the math. Or maybe you think *I'm* lying to you?

You should also be able to see that what is said on Carvin's forums is not the same as what Carvin says about their products. That's Carvin users talking, not Carvin.

Really, it's no skin off my nose what you do or don't buy. Make yourself happy; that's what we should all do when buying gear. Are you *really* suggesting I'm one of the reasons you wouldn't buy a Carvin? If so, that's pretty damn silly.

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. It does not revolve around you. But, it is interesting that you would go there. ;)

I was saying I was done with Carvin before this thread.

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not really interesting. *You* brought *my* name up. See the quoted section.

But now that I look at the post again--I was rushing out the door at the time--I think I may have misread you, and if so, that's on me. I'm talking about the part where you said "Redline, Richard, Redline." I thought you were referring to me as one of your negative experiences, but I think you were actually addressing me. If so, my apologies.

17. vibemaka

vibemaka

Jun 11, 2005
    Well, to me this is one kick @$$ amp!!! Yes I do own one, and I sure can rip on ANY amp. But, remember this, "it's the player that makes the amp sound good!!!".

18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Right on, brother!

19. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have been a fan of Carvin amps for a number of years. I own an RL6815 combo and haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with it. I also happen to love it's tone. The Redline series amps are known to have a ton of bells and whistles and be difficult to dial in, but taking the time to get it right is time well spent. I will admit that the older Series I and Series II models had crappy compressors and noise gates, but the ones in my Series III are great. All told, I have no reason to dislike Carvin or their products, and will most likely buy my next amp from them, too.