Carvin bass kit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickFan, Sep 14, 2005.

1. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Anyone here ever built one? How did it turn out?
  2. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Best to ask that on the Carvin forum, I have read about plenty of people there that built them......most with good results.

Carvin Bass Forum
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I built one, a Bolt 4 with the J99 pickups about a year ago. It's a great bass and well worth the money even though I paid a premium living in Canada. The main work is putting on a finish. I did multiple coats of varnish over a stain and hand rubbed to a gloss, but if you opt for an oiled finish it's a piece of cake.

Everything fit together perfectly and the neck joint is tight as a drum. Set up was simple and once i put on a set of Thomastics it played like a dream. Sounds every bit as good as a Fender Jazz but the neck is much better, quality is better all round and the bass is light and balances perfectly.

I ordered the alder body and asked for the lightest one they could find. Mine weighs about 7 lbs total. It's my favourite bass for playing a long night with 4 sets. The neck is really wonderful.

I don't think you can go wrong with one of these.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I built one earlier this year. The hardest part for me was waiting for the coats of finish to dry. ;) The one I put together is pretty plain-jane with a clear satin poly finish (alder body, maple neck, fretless ebony board, passive electronics), but it plays and sounds great (my only deviation from stock is that I installed some Bartolini J pickups that I had lying around instead of the supplied Carvin ones.) And the neck's been very stable, I haven't had to adjust the truss rod at all yet. The parts all fit together perfectly (including the neck/body pocket which was solidly and reassuringly snug.)

It's a great deal if you want a light-duty J-bass DIY project to play with.
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, the neck stability. I forgot to mention that. Wonderful. Once adjusted for the Thomastics I haven't had to touch it. And the fret work is perfect. No high or low spots, no buzzes or rattles. I paln on ordering another one and routing it out for a P pickup in the neck position and covering the routs with a small pickguard. Unfortunately Carvin doesn't offer that option. Carvin sure shipped mine fast-I had it delivered within a week of placing the order.

I didn't save much money building from the kit but for me the fun was in doing it myself and winding up with a bass every bit as good as what I'd find in a music store.