1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin bass kits - anyone here built one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Popbumper, May 12, 2011.

1. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Curious on the Carvin kits - being a manufacturing engineer in my day job, the idea of a kit has me intrigued.

Has anyone here built one? If so, according comments? Build quality/sound quality? Thanks.

Chris

2. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I was wondering about this too. They are pretty cheap...like 400/500 bucks right?

3. Great kits. Every hole is drilled, every part included. They are great kits for the money.

4. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    $399 for the kit - seems reasonable.....

Chris

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have not built a Carvin kit, but I have built other kit basses and many parts/frankenstein basses. Building your own bass is a lot of fun.

6. pastvertical

pastvertical

Sep 2, 2009
    I have a Carvin B4....finished at the factory. I also have a Carvin B4 kit that I finished. The ONLY difference is the factory bass has a better finish. My first attempt at a finish, I'm sure the guy at the Carvin factory had a little bit more experience.

All the parts are the same and everything is precisely drilled. Very easy to assemble. The pots are all prewired as well.

Great value. I tried to upload a photo but it was too big....

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I've played some guityars that were put together from the Carvin kits, but not the basses. The guitars were all pretty sweet, I have to say. And you can customize the kits as well, if you want a 5 piece neck or something like that as well. You have some wiggle room there.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I build and recorded with a fretless version years ago.

Well made, easy and fun. HOWVER, you really need to deal with finishing.

9. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    The good news is, finishing does not concern me at all - I look forward to it. I used to work in a cabinet shop and have had valuable experience with finishes, let alone have painted automobiles before (yeah, another hobby). I just may pull the trigger on this beast. Thanks guys!

Chris

10. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I think finishing it would be the most fun part of it.

11. bass rocks

bass rocks

Nov 15, 2010
    do the come with carvin decals

12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If you have the time and a good work area.

13. No, I dont think they do.

BnB

14. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I recently built a B50. Great playing/sounding bass and only weighs 8.2 lbs.

Several years back i put together a B5. Only sold it because i didn't care for the tight string spacing. Assembly is a breeze if you can solder. Finishing the wood is the biggest challenge, imo. Must have patience.

15. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Carvin decals can be had from waterslide decal makers.

16. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
  17. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Mixalot:

A very detailed, well crafted build - NICE WORK!! You just broughtme a step closer to pulling the trigger on a build. THANKS for sharing here!!

Chris

18. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
    Thanks, it was worth every cent.