carvin bass kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Mar 20, 2001.

1. has anyone heard of these? are they any good? are they easy to assemble? would you recommend them?
  2. Nate, You can see them at

I think the standard bass kit is $339.00 There was a review in their catalog and some guy put a guitar
    kit ( not a bass kit ) together and said it was pretty easy. It's looks pretty much like a dissassembled Fender bass. I was thinking of getting one, but haven't so far. I have a strange feeling that if someone bought one as a goof, it would probably sound pretty good because it's not
    that expensive, and no one would expect that much
    from it. Know what I mean?

Mike J.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Please don't let the price fool you! These Carvin kits are quality kits, and with care and a little aptitude you can have an excellent bass. I prefer to build from scratch myself, but I've seen two of these kits, (did the body finish for one...), and even the one that was just put together without what I would call too much attention to detail was a player.

The one that I did the finish for had an owner that took the kit seriously, and he now has a bass as nice as any of the 'Bolt' basses in the Carvin catalogs. Excellent deal for the money if you want to get started with a kit.

I also found these 'no-name' kits on ebay. The picture shows a guitar, but the text says that the bass kits will be ready to ship by the end of the month...

Worth a look...

4. i just needed to know if it was good or not, i was thinking about the 5 string fretless with gold hardware, what do you think guys?
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I have seen them in the catolog and website, they look pretty good. Ive been considering buying one of the bodies myself, but am not sure yet. Keep us posted if you get it and tell us what you think.
  6. Nate, I'm the wrong guy to ask because I'll tell everyone to buy, buy, buy. GAS has taken over my life. I had it twenty years ago and thought it was gone, but it's back now, worse than ever. Look at what's happened in the last year...

MIM Fretless Jazz ------ July,2000
    Epi Jack Casady ------- Dec,2000

Now I wake up in the middle of the night delirious
    screaming "Where's my 5 string?" I'm really thinking of
    getting a 5 soon, and I am considering one of those
    kits, but that dp custom site has caught my attention. What problems we have.

All kidding aside, I think it sounds pretty good. Did
    you know that if you get one, you can always get
    a fretted neck ( from Carvin ) and you can also hot
    rod it with aftermarket pups. I'm not positive, but,
    I think all the aftermarket Fender 5 string stuff will
    fit that bass.

I'd say go for it.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I didn't order the kit, but I built my own bass with a Carvin body blank, neck, bridge, ferrules, and tuning keys. My bass turned out great, and I bet the kit would produce a fine instrument. I also own a Carvin fretless that I've had for 13 years. No complaints.
  8. looks like a cool kit at a good price, looks something like a fender jazz without the big silly pick gaurd

9. wyg

Mar 19, 2011
    I put together one of these kits years ago for a friend when the actives were only offered with the MM style humbucker pickup in the bridge and it turned out well. I didnt like the tone of the humbucker pickup as well as the single coil but, but it was still a solid bass and easy to put together i just finished the back of the neck and the body with tru-oil. The rest is simple just make sure to set it up well and you will love it, I only wish they would make a 6 string bass kit.
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This is mine:

Fretless, swamp ash body, J99 pickups. A really nice sounding bass that plays really well and looks good too. It currently has a fretted neck on it.

Edit: I just noticed how old this thread is....
  11. arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Happy 10th anniversary.