Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bass Kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lopsy_lu, Feb 21, 2005.

1. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I'm considering getting a Carvin 4 string bass kit and am wondering if anyone has assembled one. How easy was it to put together? How does it play/sound?

thnx

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Another bass player at a church I go to has made one. Ironically, even though I make basses, I have yet to ask him about it. It sounds increadible though.

3. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I recently completed a Walnut 5 string bass kit from Carvin. It was a very rewarding experience. The actual assembly took a short tome but the applying of tung oil, drying time, and steel wool between steps took about a week. I did have a repairman do the final soldering of the wires since I thought I might mess it up, but you may be more confident. I got the active/passive option with both J bass and MMstyle pickups. There are a lot of tonal variations in this bass. It is not the same sound you get with a Lakland or Stingray but it does sound great in a live application. The neck is really nice.If the battery goes dead, you just have to pull up on the volume and it goes into passive mode. The kit was $399.00 plus options and half price case- total cost about $480.00. You can't touch this guitar in any other brand for this price. If purchased ready made by Carvin with all my options, it would cost about $900.00. Go here to see pictures: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/saxnaxe/Bass Bolt Kit BK5/DSC00881.jpg

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Very pretty! Ya know, I NEED another 5-string....

5. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    i had a great time building mine. the passive version and fretless....
    cost was under $400
    with all materials etc....

[​IMG]

and some sounds

both pickups

bridge only

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sounds like that Carvin has tone, and only 400 bux. Sure beats any MIM Jazz, or just about everythign else in that price range.

7. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    where are you buying the kits from?

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  9. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    do you have to put that oil on it or can u leave it natural

10. wood left "white" or unfinished will get dirty and dry out, and the grain will look dull and uninteresting. A tung oil finish is the easiest thing to do for a nice quality satin look.

11. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    even with the ash body???

12. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    thanks for the replies, the finish on that 5 string is incredible, looks like a professional job. That fretless sounds good, I'm definitely going to go for the fretless neck option, thanks again :)

13. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Looks great! And Carvin always gives you alot for the money.Good luck.I think you got twice what you paid for.