Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin bass kits?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hey I waas just wondering if any one has had any experience withe these
    bass building kits because I think I am gonna get one

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got one on order. From what I've read, though, they're pretty easy to put together provided you've got a little patience while doing the finish and whatnot. Can't wait to get mine! (Though I'll take my time putting it together!)

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea I think im deffinately gonna get one do you know if its the same as amy of their other basses just not put together?

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    They use the same exact components as their B4 and B5 basses.

5. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    very easy to put together

6. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I recently put together a one piece walnut 5 string with the humbucker and coil splitting option. Assembly is easy, tung oil process takes about a week and the electrical hookup required contacting customer service since the diagram that came with the kit was incomplete. I recieved the answer I needed with one phone call. The tone is very warm and quite flexible with many musical applications. This bass is quite comparable with $1200.00 basses I AB'd with. The total cost was $480.00 including the case. See the pictures in the photobucket account. http://photobucket.com/albums/v259/saxnaxe/Bass Bolt Kit BK5/?

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Ooh that looks nice Honeyboy you did a good job! The tongue oil you applied do you put one coat or what and how much is it?

8. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Thanks for the compliment. I put on about 4 coats, either using 0000 steel wool or an equivalent sanding sheet in between coats. I used Homer Formby's Tung oil which costs about $6.00 for a pint. Instructions come with the kit or go to Carvin.com and go to the section on manuals for kit instructions. The walnut just required Tung oil but I stained the maple neck to match.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks good! I'm planning on getting one, with just a clearcoat finish, maybe go with Tung oil, but just gunstock on the neck. Not to mention it's to be fretless.

Ebony fingerboard right?

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This is mine:

11. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    is black hardware extra?

12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  13. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Showdown,

That fretless looks good. How's it sound? Any clips?

14. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    oooh all this makes me really want one :bassist:

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Mine will be a 4-string, passive, fretless, with alder body. Still not sure which way I'll go about finishing it: I've already got polyurethane, but I'm thinking about an oil finish and possibly staining the body. I'm probably going to drop in some Bart J's that I have laying around instead of the stock pickups as well.

16. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think it sounds great. I don't have any clips. A lot of people don't like their pickups/preamp, but it sounds good to me. I use Infeld SuperAlloy strings, or TI Jazz rounds, and it really sings, with good mwah. Of course YMMV.

I bought a fretted neck for it too, so I can use either. I've had the fretted neck on it for a while, but I'm going to go back to fretless because I need it more right now.

17. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I have an alder body, frettless w/fretlines, single coil pickups, black hardware. This bass is very light, resonant, toneful. The Hipshot is a great bridge. The ebony fingerboard is smooth and full of mwah.

No pics because I'm re-painting it. Sorry.

Where else can you get an American "made" bass for that kind of money? All I can say is this is THE deal.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I built one about a year ago, a 4 string witth the gold hardware upgrade. Used a dye stain in a light walnut shade and multiple coats of oil based varnish handrubbed to gloss. The finishing work took the longest time ( you have to wait about 2 weeks for the final coat to harden before buffing it out) but was well worth it. It looks great. An oiled finish woud be a snap.

The kit went together easily with no problems except I had to slightly enlarge the holes for the string through ferrules. Once I set it up it was easy to play with a fairly low action using Thomastic flats. It is my favourite neck to play of all my instruments. The bass weighs about 7 lbs, very light and well balanced.

Sounds just like a good Jazz with the stock passive pickups. I'd prefer the option of a P pickup in the neck position but Carvin doesn't offer it and won't sell an unrouted for pickups body.

It's a very nice bass though and I('ve used it on a lot of gigs. I leave my old Fender at home usually because this one sounds good and is so easy to play all night long.

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just ordered my kit last night.

BK4, lined fretless, swamp ash body, black hardware, straplocks.

Gonna put in DiMarzio model J's, finish the neck and body with Minwax black stain and tung oil, and throw on a matching ash Willis ramp between the pickups.

This'll be fun! Should sound and play great as well.

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Regarding the pickups, just make sure you get two bridge-position-sized pickups, as these are what Carvin's J-style routes are both spec'ed at.

Willis ramp... hmmm, I might look into doing that on mine as well!