Carvin Bass Kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatrhino, Sep 4, 2000.

1. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    For my senior project (which is now required for graduation) I am thinking of building a bass guitar. I searched around and the Carvin kits seem to be the best for my price range, $500. I am thinking of getting the BK4A active/passive bass bolt on kit. The body is alder and the neck is hard rock maple. The options i want to get are Strings fed through body, Black chrome hardware, and Bridge Humbucker & coil tap. This all will cost around $500. The Warmoth(sp?) kits are alot more and need extra body routing for the electronics. I've read good things about Carvin's Basses. What about the kits. $500 seems like a great deal for the bass i will end up with. Any thoughts?
  2. bobpond

bobpond Supporting Member

May 23, 2005
    Long Island, New York
    Carvin would be easier. One shot order. Everything including instructions in the box.

Warmoth you pick all of the parts and make your own kit and there are no instructions.

My two Carvins were rear route, the Warmoth I am doing now has a pick guard so I have to drill holes for that. I will also need to drill holes for the tuners, Carvin was pre drilled. Really not a huge difference in effort.

Warmoth would absolutely cost more. The one I have now was about $600 not including the pickups i already had, and not finished.

End result on the carvin kits was very nice, i have the first one to my brother and I have one now that is all walnut, 5 string, fret less. The quality is very good and they are fun to build.
    bungletrpg likes this.
  3. ... this post is from 2000
  4. bobpond

bobpond Supporting Member

May 23, 2005
    Long Island, New York

Didn't look at date of original post just saw it in browse from today