Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bass strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tony G, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Has anyone tried and had success with carvins bass strings? I've been looking for a string discounter to buy in bulk, and carvins string prices are pretty damn good. But I'm not sure about them or not. I am usually a DR High Beam or Dean Markley Blue steel player, but for the price of these, I may check them out.

4 String: $9.99
    4str Nickel: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=4511&CID=ACC
    4str SS:http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=40STS&CID=ACC

5 String: $12.99
    5str Nickel:http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=5511&CID=ACC
    5str SS:http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=50STS&CID=ACC

etc...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The only thing I don't like is carvin's shipping cost. $8.99 for any amount. So if you just want to try one set, you are paying as much for these as if you just bought another set in a store. But if you buy in bulk, that is where the price break sets in.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    oh well...nobody's interested I guess.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    For the money they're good strings. I've had pretty good results with their stainless strings on 5- and 6-string basses. The nickel strings are OK, but they lose their "zing" quickly for me. (Of course that may be what you like.)

The nickel strings are available in medium-heavy and medium-light gauges, the stainless only in medium-light.

I get around the shipping charge by stocking up at the Carvin retail stores whenever I'm in the L.A. area, which is a couple of times a year.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for the info chucko58! Anyone else?

6. My six string carvin came with the carvin steels on it. They weren't too bad, didn't have any huge complaints...but after I tried a set of DR HiBeams 30-135 (.135 for the B), I haven't looked back.

7. I had a really nice set of strings taht came wiht my Carvin 6 string, i had them on twice as long as i useually leave on strings, unfortunalltly I don't know what kind of strings they put on by default

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    anyone use them on a regular basis?

9. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    FYI, Carvin's strings are made by Labella, and the B strings are tapered, a feature which I personally like.

I don't currently use them, but back when I was playing a Carvin 6 string as my main bass I used their med-light nickels and liked them quite a bit. At the time it wasn't terribly easy to find 6 string sets in any stores, and online ordering wasn't yet an option, so I always ordered from Carvin.

10. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I use the Carvin strings on a regular basis. I use the 6 string stainless steel, med-light set on both of my main 6 string basses, Brubaker and Zon Legacy. For the price, you can't beat the tone.....I've come back to using Carvins after experimenting with other brands that just didn't stand out enough to spend the extra cash (D' Addario, Ken Smith, DR, SIT). I didn't like the Nickels though.

I personally like the feel and tone of the Steel strings....and the price is right on. Give them a try.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for the info guys. That is just what I was looking for!

12. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    i've used them (nickels) for a coupla years and once they level out ( lose a bit of bright), they last quite a long time. just as w/ any string clean them. ya know; wipe 'em down etc. BTW, they sound nice to w/ good definition.:D

13. Carvin, IMO, is the only place to buy Labella Nylon Tape wounds...they cost $20 for a 4-string set ...even with the $9 shipping charge they're way cheaper there than at juststrings.com or labella's own website (they want $89 for a set through the labella web site :confused: )

14. I used to use 4011s and 5011s, nickel roundwounds, very smooth, relatively long lasting, even consistency, good for the price, but yes, if you are not endorsed, it would really only be worth it for you to buy 3 or more at a time.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    To echo what LizzyD said, I used Carvin 6-string sets on my old Carvin 6-string because I could never find another set from another maker in a gauge that felt comfortable to me (I like light gauge strings.) That sounds a little bad because it sounds like a last resort situation, but the strings really are just fine.

I have an extra 4-string set that came with my Carvin kit bass last year; once one of my basses needs a string change I'm gonna plop those on (I normally put D'Addarios or TIs on everything.)

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ok, cool. Thanks guys. I think I will give them a shot next time I need a new set of strings.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    It seems to me that there was a fellow looking to buy bulk strings on TB. I can't find the thread, but it might be worthwhile to see if anyone else is interested in buying a crapload of Carvin strings. There is the potential to save a LOT of money. Just a thought.

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've been using Carvin strings off and on for about three years now. For the money, they're really hard to beat. I dig their lights the best, especially the Nickels. The only beaf that I have with them is that the Nickels have tapored cores and the SS do not aside from the B string. This just means that I have to do a bit more set-up work if I switch, but aside from that, I can't find one flaw with them. Again, for the money, they're pretty damn hard to beat. I tend to buy them 6 or more at a time.

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sweet. What kind of shelf life do these things have?

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As some othes have mentioned, they do seem to go dead quicker than some other sets, but at their price, you can use two sets longer than one set of higher price strings. I've had a set of Nickels on my Fbass now for about 2 months now, and they still sound nice. I have buddies that leave them on their basses for nearly 6 months before sounding pretty dead.

I did leave off one more issue that I don't particularly like about them...they seem to be a little rougher than normal strings, both Nickels and SS. It's not too big of an issue though, one you can certainly live with at that price point.