Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Isamu, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Isamu

Isamu

Aug 5, 2003
    Ont.
    What does everyone think of these? I'm looking at them, namely this one. It says it's $595 direct and $999 list, sooo, how much does it cost? And apparently I can order it straight from the site, right? This would be very helpful to me because there aren't many dealers in my area. And what about all the options that go with it, what would be good to choose for them?
    If I decide not to get it, I'm still looking, here are my specifications if anyone can recommend anything.

Under $1500(cdn)
    4 string
    Passive electronics

Thanks for any help :)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You order it direct from them, for $595. You usually have to pay extra for the hard case. They are fine basses for the money, built really well. Some think their electronics are their weak link, not quite up to the standards of a Bartolini or Seymour Duncan. They tend not to bring in much on resale, if that's important to you, so they aren't a good investment tool. They are a good musical tool, though . . . . ;)

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yeup. $595 right from their website.

You can also call and talk to a salesperson if there is something special you'd like to request. Like it you want a swamp ash body with a lot of grain lines in it, or maybe you want the ebony fingerboard to have a one or two lighter brown streaks in it. They will do their absolute best to meet these requests.

They are extremely well made basses, and are known for their low action and being sent right from the factory with a very good setup on them.

You also get a 10 day no questions asked return policy. Also, in this price range, I would say that they have about the best customer service available. Try dealing with GC on a Schecter or other Asian built bass in a warranty situation.

Their resale can be very dependant on the color and other options. Typically they resell for 50% - 70% of their original cost. Options like quilted tops, flamed tops, etc. do help the resale price. However, IMHO, I think buying something because you want a good resale is kinda silly, as you're almost ALWAYS going to lose money on a resale. Very few guitars or basses exceed their original purchase price, and those that do can take a very long time to do so (like a `59 Les Paul flame top - that's over 40 years.... you're better off with a mutual fund or a Roth IRA if you want a return on your money....).

Don't buy a bass to resell it, buy a bass to play and keep.

:^)~

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Bass Kahuna's right on. I never understood the whole resale value debate. Buy the bass because you play bass, not because you are an antiques collector. Sometimes I feel like saying: If you like buying and selling so much get a good stock broker! :p

I like the idea of getting a B4 (with 2 J99's) and then upgrading the pickups if they don't do well for you. Good luck!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Looks, plays, and is built fine.

Sound isn't the "money tone."

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have 2 Bunny Brunel models. One fretless and one fretted. They are both awesome basses especially for the money. If I'm in an active sort of mood these definately do it for me. I had them both shipped to Saskatchewan and it only took 9 days to get here. To get the total price of anything in stock you just take the direct price, add $40 for shipping and whatever you want for a case and there is your total. No import fees or taxes of any kind.

I've never had a problem with either of them and service from carvin is top notch. Awesome finishes and attention to detail.

Go for it.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I've owned two. Couldn't have said it any better.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, well tone is totally subjective. I'm very happy with the tone out of my Carvin fretless, stock H50 pickups. I played a new Pedulla Hexabuzz the other day, and wasn't as happy with it's tone as I am with my Carvin.

BUT, I agree the preamp is awful, I ALWAYS play with it bypassed (volume knob pulled up).

9. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I love 'em.

Had:
    1987 V440T

Have:
    1989.5 LB70
    2002 BB70WP
    2003 BB75P

On the way (due any day now):
    B4F
    Bolt (guitar)

And I want about ten more.

10. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I just got a LB70P a couple of weeks ago. Had been strictly a MusicMan player prior to that. I'm very happy with the instrument...it's got a TON more tones than my MMs (though I still love 'em).

I got excellent service from them.

I'm still breaking in the bass and trying to find 'my sound', but so far so good. I like the active preamp in mine - though if I had it my way I'd have the knobs adjust different frequencies.

11. Note to Isamu:

Don't buy your Carvin on-line. Buy it over the phone. Ask the sales rep to throw in the case or the shipping free.

Get the catalog, learn the ordering codes, understand all the options.

Log-on to the Carvin discussion forum. Ask questions, read other people's questions.

12. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I agree completely with all of that.

I don't know if it's a toll-free phone call from Canada or not. But I always tell people to call in their orders rather than getting them online. You get to talk to a real person. The sales rep can answer questions and help you select options, tell you what can and can not be done. Unless you're very familiar with their systems, some of the option codes, etc. can be quite confusing. And sometimes things in the online order form are just downright wrong. You need to talk to a person. Get the sales rep's name. When you call back to check on your order or to change something, ask for him by name. He'll be familiar with what you're getting. Then, assuming you get good service, ask for that same rep when you order other things in the future.

The catalog generally has better and more accurate information than the website. (I have no idea why a catalog that's updated quarterly is more up-to-date than a website that could be updated anytime, but it is.) And the newest catalog is terrific. Best one since the early nineties. They've gone back to a larger format, bigger pictures, more detailed specs.

The Carvin BBS is THE place to go when you have specific questions, or just want to hear from other Carvin owners. (Although I admit we're a little biased towards Carvins over there.:oops: ) You can talk to long-time Carvin players, new customers, and a few Carvin employees.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another advantage of dealing with a Carvin phone rep - you can see if they can use a piece of wood closer to your liking for your top plate.

Fr'instance - I asked the sales rep to try and select a piece of quilted maple that had big, "puffy clouds" instead of tight, small figure in the quilts.
    He said he'd make a note on my spec tag. Sure enough, I got a bass with huge "clouds" of quilt figure.

14. Hey, I noticed that the pic you linked to has the humbucker in the bridge position (like a Stingray), keep in mind that's a $60 option...so add that to your price if that's what you want. The stock model only comes with J99 single coils, like a Fender Jazz.

I've got the BB-76P and it has a world of tone, so much that it is fairly tricky to keep and remember where to find 'my' tone. Great basses, though. Don't even worry about resale value. Play it for 6 months and you'll have gotten your money's worth.

You can also send them an email and 'talk' to a salesman if a phone call would cost money for you.

ps. check out The In-Stock Page, because the pics are of the actual instruments hanging on the walls.

15. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Yes they are pics of the actual instruments, but they are not hanging on walls anywhere. The instruments for sale in the "in-stock" section of the website are completely seperate from the instruments hanging on the walls in Carvin stores. Two different departments that don't intermingle much. But yes, that's an excellent place to see a wide variety of basses to help you choose what options and finishes you like, as well as being able to purchase any one of them without having to wait for a custom bass to be built.

Another great place to see Carvins is at www.carvinbassmuseum.com/ which is a fabulous website run by fellow talkbasser TK65.

16. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Don't forget to check out the basses in stock. Although it's fun to 'design' one (I fussed for days...), the ones that are in stock often include what you want anyway and are cheaper, and since they are already made, they are shipped to you right away.

17. Maybe they're not hanging on THE wall, but perhaps they're hanging on A wall. Perchance one of the walls holding up the roof. All I know is that when I was shopping for one, I saw it on the In-Stock page, then drove 2 minutes to the shop and bam, there it was. Serial #'s match and everything. How's it in the Denver City factory?

18. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Wow. That's unusual. I'm not going to say it doesn't happen, 'cause obviously it did with you. But most of the in-stock basses and guitars pictured on the website are in cases on shelves in the factory where customers don't usually get to go. You finding one in the showroom or in one of the stores that you had just seen on the website would be an exeption, not the rule.

19. Could have been a fluke, maybe they sell the floor models ane restock the wall with the In-Stock from the warehouse. I find it comforting that, if you order an In-Stock instrument, you're not getting one that's been wanked on by 13-year-olds for a few months....like at every other music store.

20. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Absolutely. There are a lot of "new" instruments in music stores that don't seem all that new. Can't knock it because that's the way stores do business, by letting people play it and fall in love with it.

As a general rule, Carvin's in-stock guitars were built to be sold on the online in-stock section and the instruments in the stores were built to go to the stores. Some returns end up in the in-stock section, but they have to be in perfect condition. (And I've seen some strange things on the in-stock page, things that I'm sure someone ordered and then, once they got it, realized how goofy it looked and returned it. Like a claro walnut bass with three piece body sides that has black burst edges so you can't see that it has three piece body sides, you only see the front and the back because the center layer only shows around the edges and the edges are covered with paint.:rolleyes: )Most returns from mail-order sales end up on the walls in the stores where a potential customer can actually see and evaluate any scratches or whatever it may have been subjected to by the person who originally ordered it.