1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noeinstein, Oct 6, 2019.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Just saw a Carvin bass for sale and it reminded me of when I thought it might be a good idea to buy one. While I’m sure they’re fine instruments, I’m glad I didn’t pull the trigger. I wouldn’t have been happy. Like when I was shopping motorcycles, the Japanese cruisers were cheaper and maybe more reliable, but as the wife said, “it’s not a Harley.” Deep down I guess I’m kinda shallow ;)

CTBassGuy and mexicant like this.
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Yep, you’re a bit vain and that’s ok. I am too.

The old catalogs sure were a lot of fun to read while on the can!

3. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I bought a Carvin MB15 and an 115MBE set a few years with neo speakers, and they're so good, I don't care that Carvin is not doing combo amps anymore.

noeinstein likes this.
  4. When they started upping heir quality around the time the released the SB4000/5000 series, they were great basses, especially for the money. I used to own many Carvins and always liked them. I still own a B25 fretless and would love to have an SB500 again. It was the only 'Jazz' bass I ever got along with.

noeinstein likes this.
  5. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Out of curiosity, why not? Given your motorcycle analogy, I assume you mean “as it’s not a Fender, Ric, etc.”. Not being accusatory in any way; just want to understand your position.

Auspuff and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Yes, that’s one reason. Another is resale. Since I’m rarely satisfied with anything for long, resale value is a consideration.

DJ Bebop and CTBassGuy like this.
  7. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Good for you! Most people who hold the opinion are unwilling to admit that they find the name on the headstock to be more important than the tone, feel, quality, looks, etc. I don't share the opinion per se, but I like how you own it.

You be you, friend.

Root 5, DJ Bebop, Remoman and 3 others like this.
  8. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I have owned a Carvin PB100-10 for years and have always loved the sound. And I owned a BX 500 for a couple years, loved it too.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Gotcha; understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Agreed in that Carvin resale is usually not good.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    The Carvin catalogs, the 80's, massive PAs, (sound systems). All that gear. Those were good times. PV had some good reads as well.

11. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Those Carvin catalogs were my teenaged-self’s version of the Sears Christmas Wish Book. That’s how my #1 finally came about in ‘88.

IMG_2444-smaller.JPG

12. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I just sold a Carvin BX 250 for $70 more than I bought it for, I would not hesitate to buy carvin gear it seems well made and o hold its price in my experience

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Respectfully, that isn't what I said. Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that tone, feel, and quality are equally appealing. I do prefer the look of Fender, so that and resale value would be the deciding factors. The name on the headstock is, in my case, a subjective bonus.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. Stratomato

Stratomato

Jun 26, 2019
    San Diego
    I used to think that way too. But now I like to think about it in terms of what the experience of owning/having/playing the instrument is worth to me. For example, if I buy a particular bass for $500 and trade it or sell it a year or two down the road for $400, was that experience worth $100 to me? In most cases the answer for me is yes. Just a thought...

Trouztrouz, JRA, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  15. Had a band mate years ago, that had an older Carvin bass with j - style pickups. He played pick - only, it really sounded great. Then, he spec'd a newer one with a mm / j pickup config, and fancier wood. It did not sound near as nice as the older one. This is my only first - hand experience with Carvin. Except for clips of that one that Dr. C plays - it sounds pretty good in his hands...

Why anyone would want a motorcycle that is over - priced, over - weight, over - hyped, problematic, (the list goes on) is beyond me.... but, every one works hard for their money and we deserve to spend it however we see fit.... The best 'Harley' ever made was a Buell. But - they put a stop to that.

16. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's how I think about it, too. Resale value is never a consideration for me. I don't buy something with the intention of getting rid of it. Makes no sense to me.

31HZ, tindrum, Trouztrouz and 4 others like this.
  17. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Fender sales and marketing brochures, the 60s and early 70s, weak PAs, underbowered bass amps, not much gear available for the average Joe or Josephine. Now those were the real good old days. :roflmao:

TheReceder and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Meanwhile I have a Fender P and a Zon, and have owned or tried basses from most of the other big names... but my old No. 1 Carvin still sounds better than anything else and plays better than anything other than the Zon.

DJ Bebop and Scarysharkface like this.
  19. Carvin builds one heck of a bass. I've owned a couple and really my only regret is that I don't still own them. Build quality is exceptional as is the tone (which can vary widely depending upon how you configure it, woods, etcetera).

John

31HZ, CTBassGuy and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    My dude you should double check your post because that is exactly what you said.

I mean about CARVIN all you said is that you are glad to never have bought one, which is kind of an unusual thing to be the sole topic of a thread TBH, but then you made the comparison to HARLEY. Is any company better known for moving mediocre product at top dollar based solely on branding? I receive you loud and clear.

BUT don't sweat it man I'm not here to judge. There are lots of reasons to buy basses, or to not buy basses in this case, and everyone one is equally valid.

Personally, my top criteria are that the bass must function as intended and not be too redundant to something I already have. But I too know that "bonus" feeling that comes with the name on the headstock. Why not? Am I to deny myself a simple joy for some kind of pseudovirtuous "names don't matter" dogma? Nuts to that, life is too short.

You and I are on the same page, brother. :thumbsup:

DJ Bebop and TheReceder like this.