Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QU!CK, Feb 27, 2006.

1. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I currently have a Schector Stiletto Studio 5 string and love it. My only problem with this bass is that the string spacing is so tight that it's difficult to slap :meh:

I messed around with a friends Carvin LB75 this weekend and was VERY impressed with the slap and fingerstyle tones it created.

I play mostly gospel and jazz with alot of slap and percussive tones in the mix.

Would the Carvin be a worth while upgrade or should I just stick with my Schector?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Carvin B5? I'm just trying to get a feel for how these basses sound/play...

-J

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've always like Carvin basses so I would say that it would be a good choice. Haven't tried any since they've changed the electronics configuration (9v to 18v) but I'm sure it would rock (planning on an Icon 6 string at some point).

Had a B4 at one time. Good basses.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had two B5 (a B5 and B5F fretless). I was so impressed by my first B5, I ordered a second one a month later!

Very solid instruments and a great punchy tone. As with most Carvins, you'll need to spend some time to dial in your sound. But once you do! I played finger style as well as slap on my B5. Great sound live and in the studio.

Here is a link to a tune I did in the studio with my B5:
    Let the good times roll

Going to the Carvin will be a step up. I can't say more nice things about their instruments! In fact I have a 4-String Elite in the works!

4. Was this a direct-only cut?

5. Definetly pick up the Carvin...I have two and ive owned two before...They are a solid upgrade from a Schecter. The 18-volt electronics are great, you may need to replace the input jack(two prong as opposed to one), but all in all an awsome bass.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Yep...straight into the board.

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I love my carvin basses, LB75 and LB75F. They are good all around workhorses, definitely suitable for gospel and Jazz music, as well as slapping techniques.

Also, please note that Carvin has an Asymmetrical neck option to provide more string spacing on the 4 and 5 string models.

Ted

8. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I plan to replace my input jacks as well.

Ted

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Carvins are awesome.

10. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks everyone!

I'm really digging the sound that the LB75 was kicking out but I may have to go with the B5 because of the price. :meh:

Anyone know the string spacing at (or near) the bridge on either of these?

As much as I love it, I'm highly tempted to trade in my Schector for one of these...just a little hesitant I guess...

-J

11. Transcending

Transcending

Aug 29, 2005
    Dallas
    I bought this LB75 a few months ago.
    Love it. Feel, sound, everything.
    :bassist:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    For almost anything you want to know about Carvins go to:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com

I have a B5 and love it, but I couldn't tell you what the string spacing is. I also have an LB70 and hope to have an AC40 in the next couple of weeks. I am totally sold on Carvin.

13. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    [​IMG]
    Got this out of the '90 catalog, around the same time I got mine. Mine was black with black hardware. More switches and tone controls than I knew what to do with at the time. Strings were not body through and headstock was obviously different compared to the new ones. Too bad I sold it, great bass.

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I own an LB75F. I've said it many times here, but it is truely a great bass. The playability and construction are top notch. It just feels so good to play.

15. Or you could save a lot of money, and spend some time learning to slap with the tight spacing...:ninja: :bag:

16. I have a Carvin 6 string LB67P (or whatever it is), never had a problem slapping with it.

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Agreed. But what I don't get is that the bass the original poster is talking about must have the wide spaceing, where as the standard carvin 5 and 6 string basses come with the narrow spacing.

18. IMO Tight spacing makes slap a lot easier, especially double thumping. The string below the slapped one almost forces your thumb back up to double thump it or to pop or slap more. I'm working on double popping with tight spacing...that's a bit more difficult.

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    With my fat thumb, I find the tight spacing fairly hard to slap. But different basses are meant for different players.

20. Yeah, I have fairly small fingers. When I say tight spacing, I don't mean like, super tight pickstyle spacing. I mean something along the lines of Ibanez's, some Yamahas, etc... About 16mm is as tight as I've ever tried to play, on the John Myung sig I believe, and that thing slapped like mofo.

Peace
    Drake