Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatCity, Nov 23, 2002.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I just recieved my Carvin B4 yesterday and I am very impressed with it. It plays beautifuly, the finish is flawless, and the J99 single coils sound great. I have a question: Why don't I hear more about them. I don't know anyone personally who owns one, and don't see many posts from people who do. For 600.00 one can get this bass made to one's specifications-why aren't they more popular. Perhaps someone from the west coast could comment. Do alot of players own them out there?

Just curious, and of course wanted to show off my new bass :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FatCity

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Search, my friend. A lot of us have them, and they come up in conversations a lot around here.

Congrats on the bass--it looks like a sweet one.

3. Fat,

I'm also on the Carvin BBS. You've got one awesome looking bass there.

I bought a used B5 to practice with a couple of months ago. This was after a visit to the Carvin store in Santa Ana. Compared to the most of the stuff that Sam Ash's and Guitar Centers carry, Carvins are just awesome. I can't believe how many people overlook these instruments. You don't have to spend $1,500 - $2,000 to get what you want. There are so many configurations you can do and still come in under $1,000 in a lot of cases.

No, I don't work for Carvin!:D

4. I am a long time, loyal Carvin bass fan. I've owned and sold many of the hi end basses but am more than happy with my Carvin basses. Peavey and Carvin basses are amazing basses for the money and I've never been sure why they are so overlooked or scorned.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Oh, there are Carvin enthusiasts here. They're fine basses for the money and rival some of the best basses coveted here. The issue ususally is how well they hold their value. If you put a lot of extras on them when you buy new, you're likely not going to get compensated for them at resale. Why? Because the buyer can order the same thing himself new, or perhaps some less feature laden new bass at a lower cost. Or he can get a feature laden Carvin used for a couple hundred less than ordering new direct from Carvin. I know this seems complicated, but get an LB75P with five types of woods and see if you can your costs out a couple of days later.

6. schmidtt

schmidtt

Jan 9, 2001
    People seem to love them or hate them. I have an LB76 I love it. I'm probably going to buy another one so I don't have to keep hauling it back and forth to practice.

Your bass looks great, by the way.

7. I think one reason why people don't have them is because you pretty much have to order one to even try one out. Sure, you can sometimes find one used in a store or on ebay.. but, I haven't come across any in stores around here.. And I think people are skeptical to make a purchase without trying out a few..

I was one of those that went out on a limb and bought a LB70P without trying a Carvin. And I'm very satisfied. I can get all kinds of tones out of it and the satin finish is very smoooooth.. Nice color on your bass too..

-D

8. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate the feedback.

FatCity

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    An acquaintance just bought one of these along with a GL. Someone had both and needed money so he bought both.

The Carvin has a much better sound.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I play a Carvin.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've wanted a Carvin for over 5 years. Now that I'm finally getting my life in order, the ups man should be visiting my house in a few months with an LB75. :)

I don't care about how they hold their value. I don't ever sell off basses. Even if I don't play them much anymore.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah man. Who cares about hauling those heavy cabs to practice man. It's that damn 9 pound bass that I have to carry every week that I hate.

I'm just messin' with you bro. ;)

13. i played one.but i got a warwick i dont know why.the carvin was cheaper.and has more sounds i could use.but iam happy ill get a carvin some day.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Not one of the cool brands. I suggest you dump it immediately.

You should buy a "name" bass. That's the only way you'll ever be taken seriously.

If they are out of your price range, not to worry -- most of those brands have clone basses made elsewhere. Sure they're inferior to the "real" basses from those brands, (and, no doubt, to your Carvin).

But the important thing is they have a cool name on the peghead. And that's all that really matters.

;)

Hee hee -- just joshing you.

I've had my LB75 for four or five years now, and I love it.

Always like to take a jab at the "cool brand" sacred cow when the opportunity presents itself.

15. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Yeah, you're probably right about the resale value, but for me, I'm so happy with mine, that I have no intention of selling it. And to be honest, I also buy SUV's every 5 years or so, and they (regardless of brand) drop about 5-10k when I drive em' off the lot. Doesn't mean I don't like em' though. To me it's more a matter of personal taste. I don't mean to start a "religious war" here, especially since that's not the only brand I own, but from someone who own's a lot of Carvin gear, they certainly have my endorsement. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my 2 cents. :)

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're buy and hold, and have no snob value. That said, they're very good value for the money, and the necks are amongst the fastest I've played.

I have one of their weirder guitars (the AC175) and it's a great gigging instrument. Hasn't let me down.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If we were talking cars, homes, or girlfriends, I can understand resale value, but I just don't ever get rid of gear. I find a bass, I play the bass, I like the bass. I'm more concerned with making myself a better bassplayer through practice and playing, then I am interested in pursuing a new bass. I own two basses. I can't see myself buying another within the next 5 years or more. And for the (Carvin) bass I have, I got a great deal.

Color me stoked.

18. BOTTOMBOOMER

BOTTOMBOOMER

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Hey, I agree with MJW. I own two Carvin Basses (LB70 and AC40F) and a Cobalt 6-string guitar and while maybe they wont hold as much resale value as the "glamour names" quite frankly after playing everything in the music stores I like them better than any of them and have no interest in ever selling the Carvins. For years I played a Fender Jazz ('68, bought it new) and a Gibson EB-3 ('69, bought it new and still have it) but when I saw and played a Carvin several years I was blown away by the construction, the neck geometry for playability and the price. I just think Carvin gets a bad rap because you have to order them through the mail. I dont know of anyone who has bought one that hasn't loved it.

19. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Carvin has a Hollywood store, and until recently had one in the 'burbs here too. Having had the opportunity to play ALL of the models made, I can say that the Carvin build quality is as good or better than most, bolt-on or neck-through.
    The finishes especially are extraordinary, and to me the basses always felt real tight.
    Because they are only sold dealer-direct,they are not as readily accessible to many, and since more players are likely to go to a store and buy what's in stock, say Fender, Warwick, Ibanez, etc. the Carvins have become sort of "second-fiddle".
    That in no way diminshes their comparative value as instruments, only their value in dollars.
    I've heard from many happy Carvin players/owners.
    I would not at all mind having a LB build to my spec.

20. BOTTOMBOOMER

BOTTOMBOOMER

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Hey LarryJ! I see you're from Encino. Even though I live in Las Vegas, I still own my house in Sherman Oaks and plan on returning in a couple of years. I was disappointed to see Carvin closed the Sherman Oaks store but the salesman in the Hollywood store said they were consolidating. Guitar Center has Ventura Blvd pretty well locked up now.